Advertisements
Rear (rs) engine oil leak?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2013, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear (rs) engine oil leak?

New member, long time lurker.
I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Touring (bought new) with just under 45k miles.
I am having an issue and have searched the forums with nothing that sounds quite the same as mine.
As some of you might have guessed I have a problem...

The oil light had come on shortly before I went in to get an oil change (about 200 miles overdue) on June 15. A couple days later the oil light came back on. Called up the dealership service department, they said that they probably didn't reset it and to swing by. So I swung by (for something I could've done at home if they would've told me how ).
Was good for a day or so and then it came back on and I reset it again myself. Then again later it came back on. The oil light was/is totally random.

Well today on my way into work the engine light came on too. Nothing out of the ordinary other than this light staring at me.
At work another PT owner mentions how there was a puddle where my car was parked last weekend and asked me if mine was leaking oil. Now let me mention- the parking lot is covered with the usual markings of others marking their territories for no telling how many years (fresh, old, etc.). I said that it shouldn't be but I haven't checked it lately.
After work I go out and look under it... yep, there's a puddle. Check the oil and it's L-O-W.
Check to see what codes it throws at me and I get:
-P0522
-P0457 (leaking gas cap) this one has been the death of me, no matter what I do (have replaced caps & reset) it still pops up on occasion just randomly.

Have a quart in back, throw that down the PT's gullet. And head to autozone for more oil and to see if they know what the "engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage" exactly is. Of course, he asks me for the code (P0522) instead and his computer says:
-low oil
-engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage.
With me standing there with 4 quarts of oil in my hands, he asks me if it's low on oil.
I tell him yes, it is leaking thus the oil.
He says it's an oil pressure switch and that a bad one can cause it to leak.
Buy one for $13, throw another quart down the PT's gullet and head home.
Waited for the engine to cool before I started crawling around underneath.
Get under there and I see the switch is located more on the drivers side and my leak is coming from the passenger side.
Start sifting around and see that it is coming from the rear (closest to the windshield) of the engine passenger side near the head...
What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Mud; 13 Jul 2013 at 05:46 pm.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear (rs) engine oil leak?

Might be a valve cover leak on the back passenger side if there's no oil around the Oil Pressure Sensor switch. Oil is funny sometimes and can look like it's from on side and really is another but if you can see it's definitely upper passenger side, go for the valve cover. You have the pressure sensor already and you do have the P0522 code so might as well replace that too.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 05:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
New member, long time lurker.
I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Touring (bought new) with just under 45k miles.
I am having an issue and have searched the forums with nothing that sounds quite the same as mine.
As some of you might have guessed I have a problem...

The oil light had come on shortly before I went in to get an oil change (about 200 miles overdue) on June 15. A couple days later the oil light came back on. Called up the dealership service department, they said that they probably didn't reset it and to swing by. So I swung by (for something I could've done at home if they would've told me how ).
Was good for a day or so and then it came back on and I reset it again myself. Then again later it came back on. The oil light was/is totally random.

Well today on my way into work the engine light came on too. Nothing out of the ordinary other than this light staring at me.
At work another PT owner mentions how there was a puddle where my car was parked last weekend and asked me if mine was leaking oil. Now let me mention- the parking lot is covered with the usual markings of others marking their territories for no telling how many years (fresh, old, etc.). I said that it shouldn't be but I haven't checked it lately.
After work I go out and look under it... yep, there's a puddle. Check the oil and it's L-O-W.
Check to see what codes it throws at me and I get:
-P0522
-P0457 (leaking gas cap) this one has been the death of me, no matter what I do (have replaced caps & reset) it still pops up on occasion just randomly.

Have a quart in back, throw that down the PT's gullet. And head to autozone for more oil and to see if they know what the "engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage" exactly is. Of course, he asks me for the code (P0522) instead and his computer says:
-low oil
-engine oil pressure sensor/ switch circuit low voltage.
With me standing there with 4 quarts of oil in my hands, he asks me if it's low on oil.
I tell him yes, it is leaking thus the oil.
He says it's an oil pressure switch and that a bad one can cause it to leak.
Buy one for $13, throw another quart down the PT's gullet and head home.
Waited for the engine to cool before I started crawling around underneath.
Get under there and I see the switch is located more on the drivers side and my leak is coming from the passenger side.
Start sifting around and see that it is coming from the rear (closest to the windshield) of the engine passenger side near the head...
What are your thoughts?
Must be the valve cover.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jul 2013, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Edit:
It is below the valve cover.

Was going to mention I had the oil sending unit replaced in '08 (under warranty thank god) but it doesn't have any of those signs this time around.

Last edited by Mud; 13 Jul 2013 at 06:07 pm.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Edit:
It is below the valve cover.
Below the valve cover is the cylinder head, then the block. you might have some serious trouble, unless it's really low and then you have the oil pan.

Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ugh, it's not low so not the oil pan.
Great, this isn't good at all... I think I might just get sick.
Thanks for the help
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Ugh, it's not low so not the oil pan.
Great, this isn't good at all... I think I might just get sick.
Thanks for the help
Just were do you think it's coming from?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's pretty cramped in there to really see where it's coming from. I just have enough room really to feel around and that's why I just have a general area to go by.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Below the valve cover is the cylinder head, then the block. you might have some serious trouble, unless it's really low and then you have the oil pan.
Other than the common leaks could it possibly be: cam seal or crankshaft seal or rear main seal or oil sending unit again?
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Other than the common leaks could it possibly be: cam seal or crankshaft seal or rear main seal or oil sending unit again?
It could be any of those except the rear main. Witch is good. Don't want that one. Oil can get blown around and or run along something then down.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
2.4, 2.4l, cruiser, edition, oil leak