Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
WONT START :-(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2013, 06:42 am
Young Cruiser

Default WONT START :-(

I have a 2002 pt. I was driving it about a month ago and it was running fine. Parked it for a few hours, went to start it and all it did was crank over. I hooked up the Actron code reader and it showed no codes. The dealer said the PCM was probably the problem considering it was showing no codes. I ordered one from the link I received on this page, Auto Computer Exchange. Installed it, but it still just cranks and cranks. It shows the code P0320 when you turn the key on and off 3 times, but the Actron code reader shows no codes. From what I gather this code is either the cam or crank sensor. I got both sensors from the Chrysler dealer and installed them. Still the same thing, cranks over, no starting. Is this possibly a short? and if so where to I begin? Or is this something else? Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 07:16 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: WONT START :-(

Did you try checking your timing belt? Might have lost a few teeth. A lot of times when you turn it over the pcm will detect that the cams and crank are out of sink and trip that code. you can take the top cover off and watch the belt to see if it moves or take off the cam sensor and see if the magnet is spinning. That would be my guess yep
Old 15 Jul 2013, 11:44 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the reply ParkerJohn. Just took the timing belt top cover off and moved the sprockets to see if the timing marks were in line. They are. The belt and pulleys only have about 2000 miles on them, so I think their good. I appreciate the input. Any other ideas? This thing has been driving me crazy for weeks now.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 01:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Have you verified to see that your getting spark and fuel?
Old 15 Jul 2013, 05:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Huh? And I was so sure it was the timing belt. Well your going to need to find out what it is your not getting. Like Randy already suggested, try checking for spark, verify that there is fuel, and if you have both of those its time to check compression. The way you described the problem of it driving fine, shut off, and now a no start leads me to think it may be the fuel pump but the car should not be throwing that code. Grab a fuel gauge and check to be sure. Should be around 44 to 48 psi I think. Do not pull the fuel line off and turn the key on to say yes I have fuel. You need to verify the pressure
Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:32 pm
Young Cruiser

First off guys I really appreciate the replys and help. I myself didn't check for spark and the fuel pressure, but my mechanic did. His conclusion was that there was a short in the wires that only a Chrysler dealer would be able to find. I am willing to check for spark and fuel myself just to verify. Can you hook a plug wire up to a loose plug and look for spark, or is there another method I need to do. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but will try to find one to borrow. I did shoot ether in the throttle while cranking, just to see what would happen, it didn't phase it. I also had a spare coil pack that I slapped on and tried, nothing changed. I've looked at some of the wires throughout, but I just don't see how they could have a short in them. They are well covered.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 09:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: WONT START :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondickson View Post
I did shoot ether in the throttle while cranking, just to see what would happen, it didn't phase it.
That kinda says your not getting spark.....
Old 16 Jul 2013, 10:23 am
Young Cruiser

Where do I begin on trying to figure out why I'm not getting spark? I've switched out the coil packs, still the same.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 08:49 pm
Young Cruiser

UPDATE. It starts now. I decided to just continue cranking a little longer than I was. It takes about 20 seconds of cranking over and over, but it starts every time. It runs and drives great. Lots of power,,,but,,,, Its giving the code P0340, which from what I've researched is either a cam sensor or the connector, I've replaced both. I've put one aftermarket, and 2 OEM sensors on. Same thing every time, cranks and cranks but finally starts. What's the problem? Any ideas?
Old 16 Jul 2013, 08:56 pm
Young Cruiser

I was also thinking if it could be the cam magnet. THe motor has 89,000 miles