Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC issues / PCM not sending a signal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2013, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC issues / PCM not sending a signal

Hi everyone, I'm stuck in a quandary with my AC and have had it diagnosed but want a second opinion before I make any decisions.

Vehicle:
2005 PT Cruiser 2.4L Non-turbo engine (77400 miles)
Driven in Ontario Canada (car is driven in 100+ degrees in summer, and as cold as -40 degrees in the winter)

Symptoms:
A/C works fine when I'm driving, but air gets hot and engine shudders badly on a cycle (like every 30 seconds or so) and occasionally even stalls when idling at a light or stuck in traffic.

What has been done so far to try and fix:
- new alternator
- new belts
- cleaned out the throttle body
- cleaned the IAC Valve
- new battery
- replaced low speed fan relay
- refill of refrigerant
- dye test to see if any leaks in AC system

Mechanic says:
- low speed circuit of condenser fan not working
- no signal is coming from the PCM to the low speed fan
- Mechanic says I need to get a new PCM from Chrysler which will need to be programmed
- Also says I need a new Rad/Condenser fan assembly and a new low speed fan relay.
- unrelated to above, but says I also need to replace the right lower engine mount

All of this will cost me over $2,000 and they tell me they can't even do it, I'll have to go to a Chrysler dealer only to do it.

I read on another site that if I replace the PCM on my own, it still needs to be programmed by Chrysler otherwise it may not work at all because it won't match the VIN on my car.

So, any thoughts, suggestions? Ever heard of this scenario? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for reading.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC issues / PCM not sending a signal

First of all, you replaced way too many things for an A/C problem. Should have come here first. Can you do any work yourself? It really sounds like your fan has burned out (probably low speed) which is a very common problem.

Here's what you want to try first. Let everything get cold (like first thing in the morning). Open the hood and see if you can see the radiator fan when you look in the engine bay. Use a flash light if you have to. Now start the engine and put the A/C ON. Go out to the front and look at the radiator fan again, it should be spinning so it will be a little hard to see but you must find out if the blades are spinning. Be careful. My bet is the fan is NOT moving and since you've already replaced the low speed relay, it's a good indication that the low side of the fan motor has burnt out.

We can direct you to where you can buy the fan and fan housing for $100 - $150 and we have instructions (if you do any work yourself) to replace that unit in about 2 hours, costing you nothing.

Do the test, come back here with the results. Use the same thread (this one) on the forum. Don't start another one with the same problem.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, I have the same problem, but I check my fan is moving when I put the A/C ON. What can I try to diagnose the problem ? Thanks
Old 16 Jul 2013, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The SAME problem, A/C is OK when driving but engine stumbles and loss of cool A/C when at an idle?
Old 16 Jul 2013, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes. A/C is OK when driving but engine stumbles and loss of cool A/C when at an idle.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 06:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

celicata,

We went all over your problem in another thread. I can't help help here any more than I did then.

btpassed hi - lo relays, fan turns same speed!?
Old 20 Jul 2013, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help Crewzin. Much appreciated.

Tags
air conditioning, help please, pcm