PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stolen Cruiser Chronicles Part 2

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2013, 11:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stolen Cruiser Chronicles Part 2

Hello you friendly folks, As you may recall I posted earlier about getting my cruiser back. However a new problem has arisen. The Insurance company is coming to examine the car soon but I need to move it. However I cannot do this with my Transmission locked in park. My attempts at jumpstarting the car were unsuccessful, But the electric system is all intact and I had the ignition rekeyed. Is it possible for me to slide into neutral any way without power? Thanks! PS: The thieves left behind the steering trim and screws, Or whoever tried to steal it the second time did. ALmost looks as good as when I got it!
Old 17 Jul 2013, 01:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stolen Cruiser Chronicles Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserinNowhere View Post
Hello you friendly folks, As you may recall I posted earlier about getting my cruiser back. However a new problem has arisen. The Insurance company is coming to examine the car soon but I need to move it. However I cannot do this with my Transmission locked in park. My attempts at jumpstarting the car were unsuccessful, But the electric system is all intact and I had the ignition rekeyed. Is it possible for me to slide into neutral any way without power? Thanks! PS: The thieves left behind the steering trim and screws, Or whoever tried to steal it the second time did. ALmost looks as good as when I got it!
Fill out your signature with the vehicle info. Did you put your foot on the brake while shifting.? Had a spar cover but you don't need it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jul 2013, 07:07 am
Banned

That is one screwed up insurance company.

it is their job to move the vehicle once you file a claim, they do all of the legwork and repairs not you, you just pay your deductible, they do all the rest.

What gives?
Old 17 Jul 2013, 08:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

i thought ALL cars had an emergency shift release. does the PT not have one? mine is stick so i wouldn't know.

every automatic i've ever owned had a little cover that would be removed so that something could be inserted, allowing the car to shift. like in this pic:

why would you need neutral to have it towed? just have the towing company send a wrecker instead of a flatbed. then the front tires will be off the ground, so it won't matter. if you reeeeeallllllyy want to mess with it, i have highlighted the shift interlock cable in yellow. you can mess with this to make it shift if you feel like digging into it.

personally i'd demand that the insurance company do all the work. maybe remind them that your time is valuable and should not be spent doing their job for them. this is what you faithfully pay them for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (70.2 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by rob342; 17 Jul 2013 at 08:48 am.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 12:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had my foot on the brake and the ignition turned to "on", But the shifter is locked up tight. It's an automatic. My PT is a 2001 Base Model. Ill have to try this later today so I can move it and it can be towed, My friend thinks the Insurance co is going to write the car off as a total loss due to the relative "low value" and the damage aquired during an attempted theft. I guess now's the time to buy the Dream Cruiser I've been looking at..
Busted_PT and rob342 like this.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 01:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

dont bother messing with it. a good towing company will be able to move it. there is no possible way to park a car so it cannot be towed. absolute worst case scenario they can use a floorjack and put dolly's under the front wheels. since it isn't a bentley they're towing, they could also just as easily drag it back a few feet if it's nose in somewhere. if towing company A won't do it, call towing company B.

i use this company exclusively now. they're great (and i also do the graphics on their trucks)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (48.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 17 Jul 2013, 03:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Stolen Cruiser Chronicles Part 2

They(the thieves)may have caused damage to the BTSI cable/solenoid........The Brake Transmission Shifter/Ignition Interlock (BTSI) feature is cable/solenoid operated, and prevents the transmission gear shifter from being moved out of PARK without a driver in place.;The shift interlock cable is a dealer only part, so don't bother calling the local parts store.....The BTSI solonoid is built in to the new cable (in the middle). After swapping the cable out, it should work and allow it to come out of park..

NOTE: The new interlock cable comes with a pin built into the top of the connector on the shifter end, that you pull out after the new cable is in and secured. When you pull the pin out, the cable auto-adjusts. It is very simple and straight forward.......You MAY be able to adjust your existing BTSI as per manual:
"Adjust Interock cable/system as follows:
Pry up on cable adjuster lock to release and allow cable to self adjust. Lock cable adjustment by pressing down on the adjuster lock
bottomed at the cable housing.
Verify correct system operation."

btsi.jpg
Source(s):
2005 automatic shifter sticks in park
http://www.justanswer.com/car/0p8mq-...ke-lights.html
Old 17 Jul 2013, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So there's no manual override option for me to pull it out of park?

I keep staring at it and wishing I could drive it. The thieves wanted my wheels too, But they're some cheapy aftermarket wheels I got with the car and they have bolts that cant be stolen without a special tool. They did take my center caps though.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 07:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Stolen Cruiser Chronicles Part 2

I can't seem to find anything that says there is a manual override on PT Cruisers........I have read that some people that have had the same problem when parked on a hill,and when the tow truck came to lift it up.....Then they were able to get it out of park!WTH?......Offhand chance if you jack up both sides of the back end,it MIGHT allow you to get it out of park.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 01:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserinNowhere View Post
So there's no manual override option for me to pull it out of park?

I keep staring at it and wishing I could drive it. The thieves wanted my wheels too, But they're some cheapy aftermarket wheels I got with the car and they have bolts that cant be stolen without a special tool. They did take my center caps though.
According to the FSM there is no need for power or a special release to move the shifter from park. The FSM provides a chart to determine proper interlock operation. The first answers your question. Turn the key to the "off" position. Shifter can be shifted out of park.

Take the shift knob off and see if it will come out by manually depressing the release that the shifter button should be moving.

As a last resort, take the shift cable loose at the transmission end. Then move the shift lever to neutral manually. Good luck!

Find a different insurance company! That's ridiculous.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)