PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Flush

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2013, 06:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Radiator Flush

So I would like to install one of those in line hose tees to be able to flush the radiator. But I am unsure of which hose I should cut. Does anyone know?
Its a 2003 2.4.

Thanks.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 01:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkov View Post
So I would like to install one of those in line hose tees to be able to flush the radiator. But I am unsure of which hose I should cut. Does anyone know?
Its a 2003 2.4.

Thanks.
Very few flush kits utilize a 3/4 inch tee. It is typically the 5/8 hose that they go in. The size of the tee determines which hose to cut.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 18 Jul 2013, 05:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to verongome Send a message via Skype™ to verongome

I agree with Ron, i guess there is no more saying to it.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 12:22 pm
Young Cruiser

there are 2 hoses and they are the same diameter. So how do i choose?
Old 18 Jul 2013, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

if you're talking about the heater core hoses, just disconnect both hoses from the heater core and put the tee between the 2. it's not like you need it there permamently. when you're done, put the hoses back on the heater core.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 01:38 pm
Young Cruiser

that seems like a good idea.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 02:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Radiator Flush

Two heater hoses extend from the fire wall to the engine, in both front and rear wheel drive vehicles. Hose #1 runs from fire wall to water pump. Hose #2 runs from fire wall to top of engine. This is the heater inlet hose. Ask a qualified mechanic if uncertain.....Splice the "Flush Tee" to the heater inlet hose. The heater inlet hose usually runs between the firewall and the top of the radiator. This may be done using a clamp and a couple of screws......DC recommends using only HOAT coolant..See: Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...
Source(s):
Prestone® Flush N Fill Kit | Print View | Products | Prestone®

3 Ways to Install a Coolant Flush Kit - wikiHow

Last edited by randyincctx; 18 Jul 2013 at 02:07 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
..............Ask a qualified mechanic................................

Seems you asked!! But to be clear I am actually a Automotive Technician and even more specific an ASE certified Master Technician.
Mechanic's come in all sizes shapes and with a well equip tool box a rag in your back pocket and grease under your figure nails anyone can be one too?

Let me start by saying I am one the truly believes if you have not done a certain method or technique of repair "DON"T RESPOND"!
This also goes without saying about parts. I see to many that say don't use this brand part or that yet have never themselves have any experience with them?
No credibility!

The use of this type flushing kit does not really work well on a PT Cruiser. You would need to remove the thermostat for it to be effective. And if you do that then why the hassle of installing the kit? Drain the coolant first catching it in a container. Then It is easier to simply run a hose in the radiator cap/thermostat housing after removing the thermostat and run clean fresh water through the engine while it is idling and drain the warm water out the lower hose or if your radiator has one the drain petcock. So much more simpler and effective for flushing a coolant system.

Even better would be to use the Prestone 2 part chemical flush(or equivalent )and really do the job right?

A pet peeve....(sorry Randy no offence) IMO the choice for using WIKIPEDIA for any information especially technical or fact based has no place on a car forum or anywhere else for that matter! Please read this and understand where the information comes from!!
People like yourself and sometimes individuals that have never passed the 4th grade!!!

Help:Editing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Anyone who has edited is known as a "Wikipedian" and, no matter how trivial the edit may seem, can be proud that he or she has helped make Wikipedia what it is. All of these edits add up!"

^^^^^^YA how about that? LOL
randyincctx likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Jul 2013 at 03:07 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 03:45 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Radiator Flush

I like to edit wikipedia
Badglas likes this.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 05:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Radiator Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
....(sorry Randy no offence)
None taken....Unlike some people;I really give alot of credene to those who have 'been there,and done that';Let alone an ASE certified mechanic....In my 30+ years of working on my own vehicles,working for a service department,and having friends as mechanics;I have had the pleasure of learning alot of things that other people haven't had the privilege......I know I'm still an infant when it comes to PT's,but I am trying to learn these things before I have the actual problems.......I have already learned that you & several others hold ALOT of weight in my books,especially when it comes to PT Cruisers(CREWZIN,Candyman,Busted_PT,Etc.)....Becau se of the wisdom & experience all of you have;So as far as this post/thread in particular....I am thankful you responded,because I have used the Prestone tee-fitting on almost all of my other vehicles,and probably would have done so with mt PT Cruiser....Now I know that isn't exactly this best idea;So I thank you for informing me,and I look forward to you & the others instilling wisdom upon me....Because even at 45 I always enjoy gaining more knowledge,and don't mind criticism(or being scolded!lol)....Unlike some that pop in,ask a question,get a solution to their problem,and then disappear......I plan on hanging around for awhile,and already consider some as mentors to me.......So,if I say,post,or do something stupid....Please tell me,set me on the right path,and know that I'll not take offense at all.