Advertisements
Battery / alternator

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2013, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery / alternator

Good Day !

2001 Pt...I started getting the battery light off and on for a few days. While at a stop sign on an extremely busy intersection, the engine stopped which I didn't realized that it had died till I stepped on the gas and nothing happened !!!

My brother and Bro inlaw managed to push the car into a friend's drive way where it remained overnight, hooked up on the trickle charger.

Troubleshoot: Battery ( 28 months old) ? Alternator ( 2.5 yrs old)? PCM ? (replaced 4 yrs ago)

The next morning the car started, let it idle for ten minutes with nothing on that would draw any power, battery load was 12.5v. I then put on my flashers, high beams, radio and fan...(I have no fog lights) Within 5 more minutes, the radio went dead, a few more minutes, my flashers stopped, I shut off the lights and kept the fan on. Within a few more minutes the battery icon started flashing and the chiming noise went off at least 8-10 times before I shut everything down, checked battery load 11.8v.

Did the key dance = P1682 code = low voltage

Mother Nature is not co-operating, raining/thundering...I will put the trickle charger on overnight and try again tommorow and hopefully will be able to check power connections !
Old 20 Jul 2013, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery / alternator

Let me say that this is good information to help you out.
Also having a PT idle so smooth you can't tell it is running...my hat is off to you!

The battery. There is a letter and number on one of the battery sides, a little decal or sticker which will give you the manufactured date. i.e. E09 = May of 2009.
If the battery cables are clean and no corrosion either on the battery terminals or at the other point of connection then......
Go to a local auto parts that can load check the battery. Keep in mind that the battery must first be charged to + 12.5 volts.

The next thing if the battery is in good order is to have the charging system checked. This would be the output of the alternator while running.

My guess is that both the battery and alternator are in need of being changed?

I doubt very much that your ECU/PCM is problematic. I think that you will have several more years to go!

The key dance is a poor way to find stored trouble codes as it does not always display them. Many tend to use it but try to get a scan devise to connect to the OBDII diagnostic port and do a proper scanning and clearing codes of the ECU/PCM.

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jul 2013 at 05:30 pm.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A friend came over with various muti-meters a few hours ago.
Amp/voltage meter...while my car is running:

Alternator = 20 A...Battery = 12.5v

He utilized his car battery, while running to check my Alternator output:

Alternator = 20 A...Battery = 12.5v

Shouldn't the voltage regulator be putting out 13.8-14.2 volts output on his reading while he was connected to his vehicle ???
Old 21 Jul 2013, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not necessarily it is ECU/PCM controlled.
It is looking more like you have a battery not supporting the amps? What was the date code I mentioned looking for and what is the cables overall condition?
Old 21 Jul 2013, 04:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you are only seeing 12.5 volts with the engine running, the charging system is not charging. You are correct in thinking it should be more like 14 volts. The alternator or voltage regulator(in the PCM) could be bad or the fusible link (green wire between alternator starter motor) could be open or the alternator belt may be slipping.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 04:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alas...Still pouring rain out there, oppps...I forgot to check the date code on battery. My friend (whose an electrician and troubleshooter) stated that he wiggled the cables and they appear to be in good condition, with no corrosion on battery, I'm betting my $$ on the malfunction of the battery vs. the alternator !

Thanks for your input !
Old 21 Jul 2013, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What was the date code on Battery ?

Months = 12/06
Old 21 Jul 2013, 07:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Battery / alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
What was the date code on Battery ?

Months = 12/06
Battery!;Even if it's a 7 year battery.........But definately if it's a Walmart 'Neverstart',it's WAY past it's lifetime.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Battery purchased @ Napa on Jan 26, 2011

Correction: Both batteries (his and mine)drew 20 to 24 amps voltage output from my Alternator.

Would the looseness of the alt belt (a quarter inch push) affect the output of the alt voltage ?
Old 21 Jul 2013, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
If you are only seeing 12.5 volts with the engine running, the charging system is not charging. You are correct in thinking it should be more like 14 volts. The alternator or voltage regulator(in the PCM) could be bad or the fusible link (green wire between alternator starter motor) could be open or the alternator belt may be slipping.
Carl this is not altogether accurate. If there was a ECU/PCM, EVR failure the default would be 13.5 volts if the alternator was working. Unless the load is necessary a reading of 12.5 is telling me that the battery is not capable of amp load and as well has not been fully charged prior any testing.
And don't forget that the BTS may be bad (rarely) as well here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Battery purchased @ Napa on Jan 26, 2011

Correction: Both batteries (his and mine)drew 20 to 24 amps voltage output from my Alternator.

Would the looseness of the alt belt (a quarter inch push) affect the output of the alt voltage ?
It does not matter when you purchased it but how old physically it is. In this case someone did not rotate the batteries in there stock and sold you a 4+ year old battery. Your battery info .."Months = 12/06" December 2006

The tests you are doing is a very generic form of testing and is not very conclusive with a ECU/PCM control charging system. kudos for the effort however.

I keep suggesting but am not being read.......IMO it is the battery and or the connections i.e. cables.

Ok done with this thread good luck!

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Jul 2013 at 10:21 pm.