Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
catalytic converter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2013, 10:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default catalytic converter

Have a 2001 cruiser with a catalytic converter broken in 2 parts at the first seam after it connects to the engine. I've been working on a Geo Metro but it might be time for my first cruiser project. Is there anything special I need to know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130720_092017.jpg (82.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 20 Jul 2013, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: catalytic converter

Or better yet... is there a step-by-step tutorial that I just haven't found?
Old 20 Jul 2013, 11:06 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: catalytic converter

Old 21 Jul 2013, 07:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The CAT is covered under the 80,000 mile emissions warranty. If your below that, you might be able to have it replaced for free. The auto stores or muffler shops sell after market replacement CAT's for half the price of a new one or you might be able to just have it welded back together.

At one time back in Maryland, my wife had a Geo Metro Storm. Wasn't a bad little car. That's it in Aqua color next to my ole Nissan in one of the pictures I keep around to remind me why I moved to Florida.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Jul 2013 at 07:17 am.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: catalytic converter

Yeah... that is why I moved to FL also! LoL

Regarding my cruiser... it's a 2001 with 182,000 miles on it. It's definitely not under any warranties. I tried to have someone weld my cat converter but they said it's in a spot that has a mesh part inside for flexibility, it broke straight through and cannot be welded. They quoted me $700 to get it replaced. So... being a bit handy, I'm trying to find out how difficult it really is to replace. I have found any tutorials to help me through it yet though.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 09:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go....

replacing Cat

Chrysler PT Cruiser Hi Flow Catalytic Converter at Andys Auto Sport
Old 21 Jul 2013, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool... mine broke on the flexible part that bolts in to the engine. Is there a part that goes just from the engine to the cat converter? Or is that one piece bolted to the engine and connected to the cat convert? And is there anywhere one can find a piece that fits without having to order online and wait? I'm out of town with my broken part and trying to get a new piece on there and home asap.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: catalytic converter

I'm working from my phone so its difficult to get everything to show but I believe I uploaded a picture of where its broken on my first post.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 09:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't help you with how the CAT's put together. The picture made it look like it was a solid part that broke (not flexible) and that's why I suggested welding it. Maybe a muffler shop can help you get it together enough for you to get home. They could even make a CAT bypass pipe up so you can drive it home. You might get the 02 sensor light coming on, but it shouldn't hurt anything till you can get a permanent fix.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 10:19 am
Senior Cruiser

What you are looking for is called the downpipe. It bolts up to the 02 housing just above it. It's sort of hard to get at the studs but with a little bit of spaghetti arms, some socket extensions and a lot of cussing, you can do it. Soak the nuts liberally with PB Blaster or other penetrating oil and let it sit over night before you start the project. It wouldn't hurt to warm up the exhaust a little (not blazing hot) before you squirt the penetrating oil and then do it again when it's cold.....
and then do it again the next day before you start. The nuts and studs will be rusty and won't want to budge at first. Try turning the nuts in the tightening direction to break the bound or stretch the studs a tad before you back them off. Sometimes that helps get 'em going. It's very common to break off at least one of the studs so have some sad music ready to play. Even if you're handy, consider shopping for a lower quote than $700. That's on the high side.

A lot of owners who are into power upgrades have removed the stock downpipes and replaced them with cat-less or low restriction ones. I would bet there are plenty of low use stockers with plenty of life left in them tucked away in garages all over the place that you could take off their hands for cheap.

Last edited by 2step; 21 Jul 2013 at 10:24 am.