Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Conditioner pressure from 0 to 45 in 2 seconds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2013, 04:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Conditioner pressure from 0 to 45 in 2 seconds

Hello PT owners. Can one of you guys help me solve my AC problem?

2004 PT Cruiser Base Automatic. The AC is not working properly. Here is what happened:

1. AC compressor wouldn't start. Only room temperature air was blowing. I had the AC set to the coldest setting and the highest blower setting.

2. I replaced the AC relay and the fuse in the box under the hood. I shorted the Low pressure switch. Nothing.

3. I hooked up an AC refill kit gauge to the low side port. The gauge was showing 0 with the AC on or off. I started to refill the AC and the compressor came to life.

Here is the problem: I turn on the AC and then the pressure climbs to 45psi, the AC compressor kicks on and then off dropping back to 0 psi. Then the cycle starts again. It takes about 2 seconds for the cycle to happen.

I STILL don't have cold air.

If the AC is in the off position, the psi is 55 which is why I stopped adding more.

I'm wondering what should I do? If I add more r134a I'll step into the warning/danger area of the gauge. But because I added more r134, I got the compressor to at least show signs of life. Anyone what the pressure should be while the AC is off?
Old 21 Jul 2013, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air Conditioner pressure from 0 to 45 in 2 seconds

Well AC forum diagnostic is not the best place for trouble shooting but generally seeking my best guess is a partially block AC orifice tube?
Old 21 Jul 2013, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Well AC forum diagnostic is not the best place for trouble shooting but generally seeking my best guess is a partially block AC orifice tube?
I was just wondering this yesterday. Doing so research I found that the orifice tube has a certain amount of restricted flow in order to do it's job. But was wondering how much flow do these have?

Sorry to thread jack!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Jul 2013, 10:48 am
Young Cruiser

The combined 134 can/gauge/fill kits are fine for someone who has some knowledge of A/C to top off a working unit, but can cause more harm than good if you aren't familiar with A/C systems. Personally I would hook up a set of real gauges AND a scanner and see if the pressures shown by the scanner match the mechanical A/C gauges, and what those pressures are. A bad hi side switch or wiring can also cause your issue. With proper gauge readings you can then diagnose the system.