PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jul 2013, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5
Default Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

Every couple of days the instrument panel goes wacky. The check engine light will come on and then the dummy lights come on and the car wont let me go over 2500 rpm. The temp gauge and the fuel gauge go up and down like they are possessed. In order to fix the problem I have to put the car in neutral and turn the car off and then on again which fixes the problem but the check engine light stays on for a while and the goes away. Any help would be appreciated. I went down to my local auto store to run a diagnostic and they said it needs a new PCV valve and a cam shaft position sensor. Is there anybody who has had this problem and got it fixed? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2013, 05:29 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

50; change the pcv valve anyway. The 2500 rpm limit is a sign of a cam sensor/magnet. Some PT ignition switches are possessed!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:14 am
Ray_Dockrey's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mustang, OK
Posts: 1,213
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

How old is your battery? A failing battery or bad battery connections can cause issues like this too.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:18 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
50; change the pcv valve anyway. The 2500 rpm limit is a sign of a cam sensor/magnet. Some PT ignition switches are possessed!
Thanks pto6, I'll go ahead and swap those parts out and see what happens. Cross my fingers.

Last edited by 50kaliberkid; 22 Jul 2013 at 06:23 am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:21 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
How old is your battery? A failing battery or bad battery connections can cause issues like this too.
Its a 2008 PT and haven't put a new battery since I got it, what's the fail time on these batteries?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2013, 07:45 am
Ray_Dockrey's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mustang, OK
Posts: 1,213
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50kaliberkid View Post
Its a 2008 PT and haven't put a new battery since I got it, what's the fail time on these batteries?
My way of thinking is a battery can go anytime. Even new batteries fail. I would at least have it checked. On my 09 the battery was having a very hard time turning the car over on cold mornings but checked good. I replaced it.

How long have you had the car? If it is several years old it may be time to replace it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2013, 08:23 am
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

are you going to stay and introduce yourself and post pics etc etc

Or are you just going to leave us, popping back in only when a new issue arrives? Thank God for the "forgot my password" option.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 50kaliberkid View Post
Every couple of days the instrument panel goes wacky. The check engine light will come on and then the dummy lights come on and the car wont let me go over 2500 rpm. The temp gauge and the fuel gauge go up and down like they are possessed. In order to fix the problem I have to put the car in neutral and turn the car off and then on again which fixes the problem but the check engine light stays on for a while and the goes away. Any help would be appreciated. I went down to my local auto store to run a diagnostic and they said it needs a new PCV valve and a cam shaft position sensor. Is there anybody who has had this problem and got it fixed? Suggestions?
Chip18sw likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2013, 07:25 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Welcome to the forum

are you going to stay and introduce yourself and post pics etc etc

Or are you just going to leave us, popping back in only when a new issue arrives? Thank God for the "forgot my password" option.
I just filled out my profile so I guess I am here for the long haul. I really appreciate you guys giving me good advice, I will implement your suggestions and hopefully will fix the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2013, 07:30 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
My way of thinking is a battery can go anytime. Even new batteries fail. I would at least have it checked. On my 09 the battery was having a very hard time turning the car over on cold mornings but checked good. I replaced it.

How long have you had the car? If it is several years old it may be time to replace it.
the PT is a 2008 and was purchased in 2010. The battery has been changed recently when the timing belt was changed. Could it still be a faulty battery?

Last edited by 50kaliberkid; 23 Jul 2013 at 07:34 am.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2013, 08:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,743
Default Re: Engine Problem 2008 PT Cruiser

Hello 50, welcome to the forum.

Your in Orlando so there's plenty of AutoZone's and Discount Auto stores around. They along with others will do a free battery and system charging test for you. Might as well rule that out (for free) and if it's not the problem, go from there.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Member with inherited 2006 PT Cruiser and engine light problem CruiserForMom Welcome New PT Cruiser Members 7 21 Jan 2013 04:47 am
Pt Cruiser Clutch + Engine ProbleM eponce Tech & Performance Forum 6 17 Aug 2012 10:14 pm
2008 PT Cruiser-Engine Lite question rbroadway General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 24 May 2011 12:42 pm
2008 PT CRUISER WHEN THE AIRBAG IS DEPLOYED DOES THE ENGINE TURN OFF? ilk42 Tech & Performance Forum 1 28 Jun 2010 09:20 pm
2008 brake or tranny problem aenima45 Tech & Performance Forum 1 06 Jan 2009 07:52 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors