PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Draw Down, intermitant Parasitic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2013, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery Draw Down, intermitant Parasitic?

New to forum but have read a lot in past. Good information, thanks.
'05 Convertable Turbo.
Battery draws down overnight, car won't start, solenoid clicks, will jump start OK at first turn of key.
Had several "free tests" done at different auto stores. Battery tests good after a charge, starter and alternator test good. Cleaned connections at terminals and checked to make sure all lights would go out out, trunk, vanity mirrors, etc. Performed a parasitic leak test. Got a consistant reading (after computer and other reboot) of 9m ohms, supposedly up to 50m is OK for a modern car.
Frustrated, replaced year and a half old battery with new one. Everything was fine, starts first turn of the key, and now 9 days later back to same symptoms, battery is run down and won't start car first start in the morning but driving charging will allow it to start the rest of the day. Daughter's car, she is swaping with me again today so I can work on this some more.
Any help is appreciated
Old 22 Jul 2013, 11:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Draw Down, intermitant Parasitic?

when you say battery tests good, what were the cranking amps?

my battery did just what you described. tested OK for volts but only had 223 amps vs the 560 it's rated at.

this seems to happen to people in waves after it's hot outside.

are you missing the shield around your battery? i was told the shield missing + the excessive heat killed mine. maybe this killed yours too.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 12:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You didn't mention,so I will ask......Do you have factory fog lights?.....Because even if they are not on,there could be a draw coming from within the MFS(Multi Function Switch).Trouble with Multifunction control switch for PT Cruiser headlights - Topix
Old 22 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm
Banned

You didnt recently add the Mopar Sub did you?
Old 22 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Battery Draw Down, intermitant Parasitic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
are you missing the shield around your battery? i was told the shield missing + the excessive heat killed mine. maybe this killed yours too.
Wow....I didn't even know there was supposed to be one;I haven't seen one on any PT Cruisers that I've seen....I guess maybe that's one of the first things owners(or tech.s) toss out....But,Chrysler shows one on the parts diagram.http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...String=battery
Old 22 Jul 2013, 12:53 pm
Banned

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Wow....I didn't even know there was supposed to be one;I haven't seen one on any PT Cruisers that I've seen....I guess maybe that's one of the first things owners(or tech.s) toss out....But,Chrysler shows one on the parts diagram.Battery Tray. Fits: 2003 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER | FACTORY CHRYSLER PARTS
Old 22 Jul 2013, 01:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycletoCycle View Post
Performed a parasitic leak test. Got a consistant reading (after computer and other reboot) of 9m ohms, supposedly up to 50m is OK for a modern car.
Ignition off draw (IOD) current is measured in milliamps (ma). Current can be measured with the appropriate current range selected and with the multimeter leads connected in series with the battery negative lead. 10-20 milliamps is about typical for many vehicles. Caution...do not start the vehicle or turn on any heavy loads with the milliammeter connected or you will damage the meter.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Carl, yes that was 9 milliamps on my Fluke meter in series. What sources don't mention iss that if you put your meter on (usually) 200mA you cna blow the fuse if you don't allow time for the computer draw of about 1.2A when you hook up.

Did not know about any shield. Shield from what? Is it a lead shield? I have only seen battery covers that will not save them from ambient heat, more like to keep the grime off.

So daughter came home and we discussed further. the battery is not running down like before, but sometimes the car will not start when turning the key. It turns over but does not start. This has happened intermittently in the past and in her mind led to the run down battery scenerio but after reading the dozens of "my car won't start" threads, I feel these are two different problems. The replaced battery did not have the charge capacity any longer, the guts, the cranking amps, so I think the run down battery problem is solved...at least for now.

Yes, it does have driving lights and I appreciate that reference. I will look into that.

Appreciate the input.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 07:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes, you are correct about the initial high IOD immediately after engine shutdown...it can take as much as 10 minutes on some cars to reach the quiescent state...typically 10 to 20 ma.

The battery heat shield is a black plastic wrapper that fits snug around the battery. Don't know how much good it does but it can't hurt. Heat is the biggest enemy of a battery...for every 10C rise above 25C (77F) battery life is cut in half.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 11:38 pm
Young Cruiser

I have a semi-similar issue that I traced to an unknown green wire connected to the starter.

Disconnect the battery and measure the resistance across the leads (NOT THE BATTERY TERMINALS), then pull up the IOD fuse (the one with the funny clip) to separate the engine from the interior. The IOD parasite resistance seems in the sub-5 ohm range but I would guess it depends on what accessories you have.

If you show a low resistance with the IOD fuse up, you likely have a short in your engine harness somewhere. I used a systematic pulling of fuses and relays to try to isolate where.