PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Old test for bad alternator no longer a guarantee!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By pt06
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By Carl48
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2013, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Old test for bad alternator no longer a guarantee!

So I was having the conversation with a very good friend about the subject of diagnosing bad battery's and alternators. Will Me being a mechanic by necessity, chimed in with the pulling the battery terminal of the battery. If it runs the alternator is good as long it's not intermittent. Friend says are you sure. I was completely sure until he said that. So I go outside put it to the test. It died.So that brings another sure bet into question the battery light. In the past when it's on, go get you an alternator. Now could be the battery. So Did I tell I hat change?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Jul 2013, 09:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Old test for bad alternator no longer a guarantee!

Mine idled for about 3 minutes without a battery (learned as a last ditch effort helping a friend stuck on an expressway at 2am)
Old 24 Jul 2013, 09:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
Mine idled for about 3 minutes without a battery (learned as a last ditch effort helping a friend stuck on an expressway at 2am)
Tried it today and my 03 died straight away. Wonder why yours didn't?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Jul 2013, 10:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea :/ someone told me that awhile back... was disappointed.
-@ <19k (8/29/08) NEW oil sending unit (dealt w/ since 12/22/06 <9k).
-@ 43k (7/19/13) NEW timing belt & tensioner, water pump, engine gasket pkg, oil pan, head resurfacing.
-@ 44k (9/25/13) NEW oil sending unit.

AMC contributions to Chrysler include not only Francois Castaing, but also the Director of Small Car Operations, who was responsible for the PT Cruiser.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 03:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Busted; in the old days the alternator only needed a regulator [usually mounted on the firewall on mopars] to make electricity. The regulator only needed power from the ignition switch to work. Since there was no other electronics involved [like pcm's] , your test was valid to find out if the alternator put out at least some electricity.

Just a theory: by disconnecting the negative battery post, the relay coils drop out because you disconnect the circuit? --- The positive cable might be different. --- Personally, I would NEVER try either of these on any car with a computer!

By the way, good answer about the flooded car on a different thread.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 06:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Busted; in the old days the alternator only needed a regulator [usually mounted on the firewall on mopars] to make electricity. The regulator only needed power from the ignition switch to work. Since there was no other electronics involved [like pcm's] , your test was valid to find out if the alternator put out at least some electricity.

Just a theory: by disconnecting the negative battery post, the relay coils drop out because you disconnect the circuit? --- The positive cable might be different. --- Personally, I would NEVER try either of these on any car with a computer!

By the way, good answer about the flooded car on a different thread.
Was indeed the pos. I pulled off. Will try the neg. to see if any difference. I never put the cables back on with the key on or running. To minimize the risk if any. Still curious why rob342 was able to keep his running.
rob342 likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 25 Jul 2013 at 07:16 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 06:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Do not disconnect the battery with the engine running...doing so can cause high voltage transient spikes that may damage electronics...you might get away with it but then again you might not...you are relying on how good the "load dump" protection built into the various chips and circuitry. Another issue is the fact that modern computer controlled voltage regulation schemes monitor the differential between the battery and alternator output and adjust alternator output accordingly...without total familiarity with the system in your vehicle you won't know what to look for in terms of a default voltage (if any). There are multiple charging schemes in use between GM, Ford, Chrysler and they have their differences. It's not your father's Oldsmobile any more.
Chip18sw likes this.

Last edited by Carl48; 25 Jul 2013 at 11:42 am. Reason: spelling
Old 25 Jul 2013, 07:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Do not disconnect the battery with the engine running...doing so can cause high voltage transient spikes that may damage electronics...you might get away with it but then again you might not...you are relying on how good the "load dump" protection built into the various chips and circuitry. Another issue is the fact that modern computer controlled voltage regulation schemes monitor the differential betwen the battery and alternator output and adjust alternator output accordingly...without total familiarity with the system in your vehicle you won't know what to look for in terms of a default voltage (if any). There are multiple charging schemes in use between GM, Ford, Chrysler and they have their differences. It's not your father's Oldsmobile any more.
What he said! That cable pulling is old school and kind questionable back then! Certainly not a good idea on any car with a computer!...regardless of the PT's retro look!
Old 25 Jul 2013, 04:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Still curious who rob342 was able to keep his running.
yeah me too. i removed the battery and my car didn't die until i had it completely installed in my friends vehicle. i did have the radio, blower, and all that turned off. i figured it probably died because it got jealous. it wanted its battery back. it knew how to get its way.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 25 Jul 2013 at 05:04 pm. Reason: honestly, i think it died because the cooliing fan kicked on and pulled more juice
Old 25 Jul 2013, 05:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Tried it today and my 03 died straight away.
yeah, i think you just got crappy alternators man.

maybe i beat it into submission. maybe my car just likes me. maybe MY PT is just a liiiiiittttle bit better than the rest of the PT's in the world. like the Sonny in the movie IRobot. it's better than the rest, has the ability to think for itself, to make decisions. maybe it's made with harder alloy, because it's creator gave it a purpose.

here's a video i JUST took. you know, just because..

-and yes i understand the risks in doing this. it isn't a habit of mine. i know curiosity killed the cat. you can call me curiosity. and maaaaan am i gonna feel dumb if my car breaks down on the way home now.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 25 Jul 2013 at 05:31 pm.