PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
timing belt

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2013, 03:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default timing belt

I've been a member for awhile and must say I've found every answer on any problems I might have had..thanks for that. This time I am stumped. A brief history: had my broken timing belt replaced by my local mechanic on my "03 turbo. (he wasn't happy and swore never again). I got the car back with a rough idle, not horrible but not nearly right. seemed to drive fine once i got past idle but didn't seem as powerful. he said drive it for 15 miles while the computer re-learned. ended putting on about 100 miles as he went on vacation. Finally threw a P0300 code which I reset and it didn't come back. After researching here it seems the exhaust cam might be off 1 tooth. My mechanic claims it wouldn't idle at all and he's sure he got things lined up right. He wants to raise my idle rpms but i stopped that. All vacuums seem ok..will it not idle at all if off by 1 tooth? any other ideas? of course "ran fine before belt broke"
Old 26 Jul 2013, 03:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: timing belt

you can take the top part of the timing cover off and look. it's only 3 little 10mm bolts. bump the key until the marks are lined up and see for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (36.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 26 Jul 2013, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It has the classic symptoms. And yes it will run. They will run if you get both a tooth off. I helped a guy with one like that. I will post the pics tonight on the proper alignment. You were wise not to adjust the idle. I it ran good before the break then it should after. The idle wouldn't need to be changed because you replaced the belt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Jul 2013, 04:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Can't hurt to check it. And if is indeed off by a tooth it's not terminal it will change the cam phasing on that cam. So it'll change the power curve, one way moves the torque band up and another way moves it down...advance or retard timing.

So it will be different and I would expect the idle would have to be changed if this is the case. You can hook up a vacuum gauge to it and see if the vacuum is low at factory idle, if's low then you could rise the idle a little by hand and see if it steady out.

Should not have been given to you like this but apparently test driving vehicals after repairs is a lost art these days!

PS if I got something off here someone who's been here and done that feel free to clarify!
Old 27 Jul 2013, 03:02 am
Senior Cruiser

shooz; after you verify that the cam sprocket marks are correct, you have to check that #1 cylinder is at top dead center. It is possible for the crank sprocket to be one tooth off.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here is the pictures I promised. Hope this helps . Let us know how it turns out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Jul 2013, 11:04 am
Young Cruiser

I'm attaching the instructions out of the '03 GT service manual on how Chrysler says to remove the upper cover. I've read on this forum that it can be removed w/o discharging and disconnecting the A/C hoses, and looks to me like that is the case. I'm wondering if you can also ignore the part about removing the upper torque strut. The question is whether you can get to the lower cover bolt. I have 70,000 mi. on mine and would like to check the condition of the belt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03GTUpperTimingCover.jpg (101.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 28 Jul 2013, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevescajr View Post
I'm attaching the instructions out of the '03 GT service manual on how Chrysler says to remove the upper cover. I've read on this forum that it can be removed w/o discharging and disconnecting the A/C hoses, and looks to me like that is the case. I'm wondering if you can also ignore the part about removing the upper torque strut. The question is whether you can get to the lower cover bolt. I have 70,000 mi. on mine and would like to check the condition of the belt.
You really need to remove the stru t to ge some room to gt to the bolt and maneuver the top cover out. Wont show much if like the one I replaced.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Jul 2013, 08:10 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You really need to remove the stru t to ge some room to gt to the bolt and maneuver the top cover out. Wont show much if like the one I replaced.
Sounds like it would be a waste of time and I should just bite the bullet, get the belt, etc. replaced and quit worrying about it. As I'm sure you are aware, Chrysler says replace it at 90,000 miles or seven years. The dealer service guy said they recommend changing at 100K, but there have been posts on this forum where they have broken at 80K.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevescajr View Post
Sounds like it would be a waste of time and I should just bite the bullet, get the belt, etc. replaced and quit worrying about it. As I'm sure you are aware, Chrysler says replace it at 90,000 miles or seven years. The dealer service guy said they recommend changing at 100K, but there have been posts on this forum where they have broken at 80K.
Ye, and we have also had recent posts of 140k buy some. The ones I have seen didn't show cracks unless you had them off and bend them to the extreme and cause them. Some were in the next 20k would be safe given the odds. The early percentage is less than the normal length ones. No rush but you can plan the time and money rather pay tow bill and find yourself forking out weather ready or not. If you do get into it. I would recommend using the dot method along with the marks. Makes it nearly impossible to get it wrong if you are careful of the transferring the dots to the new belt. That's what the white dots you see in the pics were for. But they only line up once during the timing process.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
timing belt replacement