PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine coolant temp? How "hot" is overheating?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2013, 10:32 am
Young Cruiser

Default Engine coolant temp? How "hot" is overheating?

03 turbo with 84k miles. I had let my car sit idling for about 10 minutes while I was putting tools away/washing up after the SS install. Low speed fan kicked in, went inside and when I came back out the high speed was on. (sounds like a jet engine) Needle was in the center of the gauge like normal, but my ultra gauge showed the coolant temp at 200-212. When it would get to 210, high speed would kick on and drop to 200, and when it stopped the low speed was still on.

Is this too hot, I would think the temps would be lower? Is it normal because it was just sitting there idling and not moving? First time I have ever looked at coolant temp on a gauge. Thanks, Alex
Old 27 Jul 2013, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine coolant temp? How "hot" is overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
03 turbo with 84k miles. I had let my car sit idling for about 10 minutes while I was putting tools away/washing up after the SS install. Low speed fan kicked in, went inside and when I came back out the high speed was on. (sounds like a jet engine) Needle was in the center of the gauge like normal, but my ultra gauge showed the coolant temp at 200-212. When it would get to 210, high speed would kick on and drop to 200, and when it stopped the low speed was still on.

Is this too hot, I would think the temps would be lower? Is it normal because it was just sitting there idling and not moving? First time I have ever looked at coolant temp on a gauge. Thanks, Alex
If no boiling in to overflow bottle your ok. But what is the temp out side? This is equally important. Might also have flow issues, radiator thermostat.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jul 2013, 10:54 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. Outside temp was 80-85 at the time, and didn't hear any boiling when shutting off the engine. I have only owned the car 2 months and 15 miles, so I haven't driven the car for a long period of time to see what it does.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
Thanks for the reply. Outside temp was 80-85 at the time, and didn't hear any boiling when shutting off the engine. I have only owned the car 2 months and 15 miles, so I haven't driven the car for a long period of time to see what it does.
Wonder what it does with the a/c on in that case. That is warm weather for not moving and no air flow except the fan. Lets see what others say about it. NitroPt lives out there and has that same gauge. Might give him a shout and see what he has experienced.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jul 2013, 11:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm not the last word here for sure! But that sounds normal to me. The newer cars have a higher temp thermostat in them than cars had in the old days, Emissions stuff, so they tend to run higher.

I'm about 176 miles from Nito so it's been Hot as Hades here also. The gauge in the car seems to run about the halfway mark in the heat A/C on our off.

I freaked when I noticed it at first because I would have sworn ity was lower during the winter? Had the system flushed and refilled at the dealer and no change and all is well, so I think halfway on the gauge is normal ?
Old 27 Jul 2013, 11:49 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Wonder what it does with the a/c on in that case.
Unfortunately the AC only holds a charge for 3 days. Ice cold for those 3 days though. Another thing on the to-do list!
2003 GT- Stage 1, Mopar BOV, 2.75" catback, Hurst SS, Eibach pro-kit, 6000k fogs, Alpine CDA 7893, 10" Alpine Type-X powered with JL Audio e1400d, Alpine Type-R components powered with JL Audio e4300.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 12:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

too funny!

If it's 300 it might be too hot.
220-240 is nothing.

High engine temperatures are good in every single aspect;

Cylinder wall life (big time)
Power
Efficiency