PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Been through the list and I can't spend the money!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2013, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Been through the list and I can't spend the money!

I've been having cooling problems lately and have checked just about everything. My 2001 had a new head, pump and timing chain installed 25,000 miles ago. The fan works on both speeds, I've "burped" it twice, there is no sign of coolant in my oil (it's very clean) and the tstat seems to be working just fine (top hose gets hot as the fan kicks on to cool). I'm stumped and don't know any mechanics that I trust to figure it out. Could the radiator be clogged and only be allowing the coolant to flow through a small portion? I don't know what else to check at this point.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 04:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Been through the list and I can't spend the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupofwires View Post
Could the radiator be clogged and only be allowing the coolant to flow through a small portion?
Has it possibly had HOAT/OAT coolant mixed with Ethylene-Glycol antifreeze?;I have read that you shouldn't mix HOAT/OAT antifreeze with Ethylene-Glycol antifreeze.......End result can be a jelly like substance that can gum up the works in your cooling system,possibly clogging the heater core and radiator.(see photo)....Also;If water contaminants are present it can cause problems...Water (typically tap water), when added to engine coolants, introduces another group of contaminants to a cooling system. Contaminants such as chlorides and sulfates can actually attack non-ferrous metals (copper and brass) in the cooling system.....Hard water will promote scale deposits and can cause silicates to fall out of solution, producing a “gel” that can clog passageways in the radiator and heater core.
jelly3.jpg
This is just one example of what happens when HOAT/OAT is mixed with Ethylene-Glycol......If this is just the thermostat,imagine what happens to the rest of the engine: radiator/heater core/water pump/and even 'water jackets' in the block & head.Do Not Mix OAT's and EG's Antifreeze
Old 27 Jul 2013, 04:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Some people report that the jelled goo may be difficult to remove from the cooling system. Other people report that the issue was resolved by standard technique chemical flushing of the cooling system and rinse with lots of clean water, and they had no residual cooling problems for long term. Perhaps some people are luckier than others, or maybe it's easier to clean out when done early.I suggest you back flush the heater core and radiator, and be sure they flow freely. If there are any clogs in the radiator you might feel cool spots on the core while running. Radiator and heater core can also be hot tanked (boiled out) by a local radiator shop. Source: Do Not Mix OAT's and EG's Antifreeze
Old 27 Jul 2013, 06:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Been through the list and I can't spend the money!

Assume it's overheating;

When it's idling?
At Highway speeds?

Both??

Sure, flush radiator, or stick Garden hose in top and see if flows out bottom.
Could turn heater up, that's what I do!
Old 27 Jul 2013, 06:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Here are some more shocking photos in this thread: Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It starts overheating when idling and while driving. Pulled the tstat and put it in some boiling water and it opened right up. The upper rad hose gets nice and hot when the fan kicks on (tstat opens) but the lower hose doesn't feel like it changes temp. at all. Gonna try to flush the system and go from there.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Has it possibly had HOAT/OAT coolant mixed with Ethylene-Glycol antifreeze?;I have read that you shouldn't mix HOAT/OAT antifreeze with Ethylene-Glycol antifreeze.......End result can be a jelly like substance that can gum up the works in your cooling system,possibly clogging the heater core and radiator.(see photo)....Also;If water contaminants are present it can cause problems...Water (typically tap water), when added to engine coolants, introduces another group of contaminants to a cooling system. Contaminants such as chlorides and sulfates can actually attack non-ferrous metals (copper and brass) in the cooling system.....Hard water will promote scale deposits and can cause silicates to fall out of solution, producing a “gel” that can clog passageways in the radiator and heater core.
Attachment 8552
This is just one example of what happens when HOAT/OAT is mixed with Ethylene-Glycol......If this is just the thermostat,imagine what happens to the rest of the engine: radiator/heater core/water pump/and even 'water jackets' in the block & head.Do Not Mix OAT's and EG's Antifreeze
That"s not a mix. The color is to pure. That's got something else in it. A lot of assuming gets published as fact on the internet. Especially when promoting a certain product. Most likely some type of low end stop leak. Try a new cap if you haven't. Also check the over flow hose, that it is tight and not leaking.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i had a similar problem with over heating, the temps i got when testing the radiator suggested it was clogged.... i found a brand new radiator for $60.00 on ebay with free shipping
Old 27 Jul 2013, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupofwires View Post
I've been having cooling problems lately and have checked just about everything. My 2001 had a new head, pump and timing chain installed 25,000 miles ago. The fan works on both speeds, I've "burped" it twice, there is no sign of coolant in my oil (it's very clean) and the tstat seems to be working just fine (top hose gets hot as the fan kicks on to cool). I'm stumped and don't know any mechanics that I trust to figure it out. Could the radiator be clogged and only be allowing the coolant to flow through a small portion? I don't know what else to check at this point.
Are you loosing coolant? Is the heat gauge showing normal?Does it heat if your using the ac?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jul 2013, 08:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Been through the list and I can't spend the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That"s not a mix. The color is to pure. That's got something else in it. A lot of assuming gets published as fact on the internet. Especially when promoting a certain product. Most likely some type of low end stop leak. Try a new cap if you haven't. Also check the over flow hose, that it is tight and not leaking.
Actually that link is for MGA(small British car) enthusiast's(just like us and PT Cruisers)...And the poster does go on to say: "I found some jelled coolant, and don't know what it is from. The radiator core was replaced last year and I am not sure what they used or put in with the coolant. I have flushed out the radiator and the block and head have now been hot tanked. Do you think I have any cause for concern?".......But since 'madeupofwires' asked if it could be clogged,and what could cause clogs.