Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 pt touring wont start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 pt touring wont start

i have a 2002 pt cruiser that had an over heating problem when i bought it, changed the thermostat and put coolant in instead of water and it took care of the problem until i noticed the water pump leaking. so i changed it and the timing belt since i was in there, it started twice and then just died on me, i have resest the timing 4 times and put in new coil, cam, and crank sensor. it acts like it want to but still wont start, what else could it be ?????
Old 27 Jul 2013, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 pt touring wont start

Are you getting the engine light coming on to help with the diagnosis?

Have you checked the spark and fuel pressure since you changed all those parts?
Old 27 Jul 2013, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i haven't checked fuel pressure but i can hear the fuel pump turn on with the key and smell fuel after attempting to start it a couple times. and was unable to check spark after changing all those parts since i was working on it by myself today, that was my next step (spark) it was yellow or weak before, could it be the pcm????
Old 27 Jul 2013, 10:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 02 pt touring wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3405 View Post
so i changed it and the timing belt since i was in there,
It was running/starting up to that point.....Then:
Quote:
it started twice and then just died on me, i have resest the timing 4 times
Even if the timing is off by 1 degree/or tooth it could cause a similar problem.
Quote:
what else could it be ?????
I would suggest you check the timing alignment at least 1 more time....ONLY,this time put aside anything you have been using as a reference so far,and use the following photos as your example.(these are fast becoming the go-to Cam/Crank/Timing EXAMPLE photos from: Busted_PT)If everything is lined up EXACTLY like these photos your timing should be PERFECT,if not....well,you know what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Old 28 Jul 2013, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yep that is the exact photo i pulled off of my school data base and set the timing too. it cough and sputters acting like it wants to start but doesn't. i dont understand why it started the first couple times, once to make sure i had it right and the other to bleed the power steering pump, then nothining..... if the timing was off the first time could it have bent a valve????? or are the pcm known to just quit like that ????
Old 28 Jul 2013, 10:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

i will check my marks once again, this will make it the fifth time, im actually getting pretty fast at it now....lol but there is no lagg in the cranking. i will also check my spark again
Old 28 Jul 2013, 05:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
if the timing was off the first time could it have bent a valve?????
It's possible. The valves can't hit the pistons, but they can hit each other. It's extremely unlikely, though.
Sounds to me like it's out of time. When you lined up the marks, did you use a straightedge through the center of the cam bolts? I didn't, and I got it wrong the first time. It looked like the marks lined up, but when I used the straightedge, I could see they weren't.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 11:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i did use a straight edge when lining them up. the half mark and the full mark in the middle that are suppose to line up are half a tooth above the straight edge when i line it up with the outside marks, that is how it shows it in the diagram i got from the data base. please tell me thats wrong so i can put this thing back together.

http://0-arrc.ebscohost.com.library....1-0.inline.gif

not sure if this pic showed up or not, its on my school data base. i am ready to buy a compresion tester once i finish these next three days of school and can get back to it. ty guys for all the help. i welcome any and all suggestions on what is causing this
Old 09 Aug 2013, 04:44 am
Senior Cruiser

DL; note the pictures in post #4. --- The crank picture is perfect. --- The camera angle on the cam sprockets shows it off a little, but it's correct if you looked straight on. Pull a piece of twine between the centers of both bolts to check the inner marks.

DISREGARD the outer marks! --- Arrows UP
Old 22 Aug 2013, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

i will do that..... did a comprssion test and only had 90lbs in cylinder 2 & 3 so i pulled the head and could see where the valves tapped the pistons..... just got it back from the shop and am about to put it back on...... i guess that answered my question on if its an interferance engine or not..... lol the hard way. ty guys for all the help