Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Non-Turbo Overheating Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2013, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Non-Turbo Overheating Issues

Hi, I have a 2005 Non Turbo PT Cruiser with 275,000 miles. Yes, that's right 275,000. The car was given to me by my grandfather(salesman) who took very good care of this vehicle. Lots of repairs have been made and he has never missed a 3k oil change. But, there has never been any repairs to the cooling system other than maintenance of the radiator every 36k. The vehicle sat up this year for about 3 months before I was able to start driving it. It started to overheat on me a couple of weeks ago. Only when the vehicle was idling or in stop and go traffic would this occur. I have checked the water pump (good flow), thermostat(opening when reaching operating temp), and I'm fairly confident that the radiator is in good shape(no corrosion visible). THE FAN seems to being acting erratic, sometimes it works when it's suppose to. When you to on A/C it comes on immediately but not every time. When the engine reaches temperature it also will comes on but not every time. When it has over heated the fan has been OFF. When I removed the fan and direct wired it, it came on but I only noticed 1 speed. It also seemed to run a little ragged. I put the fan back in and it lasted for a couple of more days before I noticed it quit again. I'm ready to replace the fan but should I also consider the relays and or the ECT? Thanks
Old 29 Jul 2013, 09:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 2005 Non-Turbo Overheating Issues

With that many miles,and the original fan motor....The armature is probably worn down enough to warrant a new fan motor.....When you 'jumped' the fan you only got one speed?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Non-Turbo Overheating Issues

I would refer to the factory service manual for the correct way to test and diagnosis your Model PT. There is to much information to type about this and that is why I recommend the research?
Also visually looking at a radiators exterior and assuming the thermostat is opening properly with the use of at least a hand held thermal temperature reading tool is inconclusive.

You might also do a coolant test just to see the approximate mixture to make sure that you are not more then 50/50 coolant to water. Higher coolant levels can cause heating issues.

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Jul 2013 at 09:57 am.