Passenger Front Axle Removal and Install

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2013, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Passenger Front Axle Removal and Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDucky View Post
There is an easier way... If you disconnect both upper and lower motor mounts, (torque struts) you can roll the motor far enough to get the alternator out through that lower triangle shaped area. That also gives you the added advantage of rolling the motor forward to gain access to some of the mounting bolts from the top.

-Gary-
With the stub axle on the turbo cars. Would this still work? I noticed that your axle is one long peace.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
With the stub axle on the turbo cars. Would this still work? I noticed that your axle is one long peace.
Hmmm, not sure. I haven't had to change an alternator in a turbo car yet. (Knocking on wood...)
Busted_PT likes this.

Hers - 2005 Dark Slate Gray Convertible - 2.4 Turbo Lite - Automatic.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA (For now) - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - Boost coming soon - Currently in Intensive Care...
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:34 am
Cool Cruiser

[QUOTE=rob342;486833]nobody should use this as the procedure for removing an axle.

there is no need to remove the brake caliper or rotor.
there is no need to disconnect the lower ball joint.
there is no need to wedge things in the hub to loosen the nut.
there is no need to hammer on the axle, ever
there is no need to disconnect the swaybar

you loosen the big nut when the wheel is on and the car is on the ground.. then it doesn't spin.

then you crank the steering wheel, take off the two bolts i circled in red and the axle comes out.all you needed to remove was the tire, the nut, and the two bolts i circled.

this should be a 15 minute removal, you made it a hell of a lot more work than it needed to be.

why on earth would you do it like that?

You're right... In the old days, the top bolts were critical to the alignment. (Caster / Camber) So, for that reason, I still remove the lower instead of the top. One of these days I'll stop that.

Hers - 2005 Dark Slate Gray Convertible - 2.4 Turbo Lite - Automatic.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA (For now) - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - Boost coming soon - Currently in Intensive Care...
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Passenger Front Axle Removal and Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
nobody should use this as the procedure for removing an axle.

you loosen the big nut when the wheel is on and the car is on the ground.. then it doesn't spin.

then you crank the steering wheel, take off the two bolts i circled in red and the axle comes out.all you needed to remove was the tire, the nut, and the two bolts i circled.

this should be a 15 minute removal, you made it a hell of a lot more work than it needed to be.

I was starting to wonder about that myself as I was looking at the series of photos;I haven't read up on this particular procedure yet,but I have read up on replacing the strut assemby,lower control arm bushings,and also the sway bar & end link bushings......I was staring at those 2 bolts for the longest time thinking: ''I'd just remove those if I could get away with it.'';So,I looked up the procedure in my Hanes manual,and even in there it doesn't mention doing all of that extra work (But,it does mention 'Suspend the outer end of the driveaxle on a bungee cord or piece of wire') and I like ANYTHING that'll get me from point 'A' to point 'B' faster.(and less work!)....But,overall a fairly decent write-up;I learned a few things from it,that's for sure!
Old 04 Aug 2013, 09:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Passenger Front Axle Removal and Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I don't believe it can be removed in one piece like the non-turbo models.....Having just studied this procedure;I noticed one slight variation listed in the Hanes instructions,it suggest on turbo models you need to separate the inner joint(Tripod joint) from the intermediate shaft to avoid damage to the inner joint components,and then you need to pry out the driveaxle itself to avoid damaging the oil seal.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 02:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
nobody should use this as the procedure for removing an axle.

#1 It is the method in the factory service manual.

#2 I do not have a coil compressor and did not want to risk having to try and do it without the tool.

#3 On the 2003, I discovered you can not get it out on the wheel side there is not enough clearance without removing the pulley wheel on the alternator. It had to come out the bottom by the AC cooler and only in one orientation.

To be honest, I thought the way you suggested it would likely be the easiest, but it is a good thing I did not or I would have to of done twice the work as the axle has to be removed to drop it out the bottom.
UptownSport likes this.

One day I WILL make my PT behave!
Old 04 Aug 2013, 02:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Pulling the axle and getting it back in on the non-turbo was actually fairly easy, it took maybe 10-20 minutes.

It took 30-45 min to get the alternator out and back in.

Old 04 Aug 2013, 03:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Passenger Front Axle Removal and Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
#1 It is the method in the factory service manual.
Is this the same manual that didn't even instruct you to suspend the hub & brake assembly?.....I bet it probably says to disconnect the battery too!lol

Quote:
#2 I do not have a coil compressor and did not want to risk having to try and do it without the tool.
Why would you need a coil spring compressor?....Your don't need to take the strut assemby apart,just remove the 2 strut-to-steering knuckle bolts!

Quote:
#3 On the 2003, I discovered you can not get it out on the wheel side there is not enough clearance without removing the pulley wheel on the alternator. It had to come out the bottom by the AC cooler and only in one orientation.
The alternator pulley shouldn't even be close to the driveaxle????.......What type of engine do you have?
Old 04 Aug 2013, 03:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Is this the same manual that didn't even instruct you to suspend the hub & brake assembly?.....I bet it probably says to disconnect the battery too!lol

Why would you need a coil spring compressor?....Your don't need to take the strut assemby apart,just remove the 2 strut-to-steering knuckle bolts!

The alternator pulley shouldn't even be close to the driveaxle????.......What type of engine do you have?
I have 3 FMS and a general service manual, they are equally ... limited in some descriptions.

I did not want to risk that it would extend and that I would not be able to get it re-linedup to put the bolts back in the strut-to-steering knuckle bolts.

The alternator pulley shouldn't even be close to the driveaxle????.......What type of engine do you have?[/QUOTE]

Might be a poor explanation on my part: even with the axle removed, the space between the frame, engine block, and engine mount does not provide enough clearance to get the alternator out as one unit. If I had taken the alternator pulley wheel off it probably would have fit.

This is just the standard 2003 Base non-turbo, it should be the same as yours. There was just not enough clearance to get it out the standard method, and there is no way I would have been able to get it out that side if I left the axle in. The only way that it would come out is straight down and over to the right a bit where the small AC rad is located. Have you been able to pull the alternator out the wheel-well yourself?

My guess is that the NipponDenso Alternator in the Turbo models is a bit smaller than the Mitsubishi one in the non-Turbo. And maybe they were more generous with space in the other years?

Old 04 Aug 2013, 04:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have 3 FMS and a general service manual, they are equally ... limited in some descriptions.

I did not want to risk that it would extend and that I would not be able to get it re-linedup to put the bolts back in the strut-to-steering knuckle bolts.

Might be a poor explanation on my part: even with the axle removed, the space between the frame, engine block, and engine mount does not provide enough clearance to get the alternator out as one unit. If I had taken the alternator pulley wheel off it probably would have fit.

This is just the standard 2003 Base non-turbo, it should be the same as yours. There was just not enough clearance to get it out the standard method, and there is no way I would have been able to get it out that side if I left the axle in. The only way that it would come out is straight down and over to the right a bit where the small AC rad is located. Have you been able to pull the alternator out the wheel-well yourself?

My guess is that the NipponDenso Alternator in the Turbo models is a bit smaller than the Mitsubishi one in the non-Turbo. And maybe they were more generous with space in the other years?[/QUOTE]

It is actually bigger. With the over flow tank out I took mine out the top. Had the upper and lower mount loose.
TurboDucky likes this.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com