PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
07 Cruiser ran rough then died after timing belt and water pump replacement

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2013, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 07 Cruiser ran rough then died after timing belt and water pump replacement

Worked on my brother in laws 07 Cruiser. 95K miles ran fine but he decided it was time for new belt and water pump after talking to some other people. Got everything apart yesterday (there is an amazing lack of space in these buggers!) and finally got the pump replaced this morning, then with all marks lined up (prior to removing old belt and did not move anything because I know it is an interference engine) replaced the timing belt. Got everything back together with new serpentine belt and alternator belt. Started right up but ran rough. Had a knocking sound near the flywheel/clutch. Turned it off. Pulled the belts, balancer and covers. Checked all timing marks and they were still right on. Started it up and it ran but surged, no unusual noises except by tranny knock. Waited to see if it would smooth out after warming up. Ran about 3 or 4 minutes and then died. Turns over but does not try to start. Has spark. At a loss. HELP!
Old 03 Aug 2013, 11:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 07 Cruiser ran rough then died after timing belt and water pump replacement

well first NO this is not a interference engine
A interference engine the pistons can hit the values on the 2.4 PT motor if you are at a high RPM you can have the values hit the values it almost never happens but it is a possibility

second I hear every thing you said and I know you believe it to be true but some how it is out of time you will say NO its not but we get this all the time and in the end is was something simple and some how the timing was off not YEs I could be wrong and I really hope iam it could be a connection on one of the sensors did you recheck all the connections???
Old 03 Aug 2013, 11:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 07 Cruiser ran rough then died after timing belt and water pump replacement

No codes?

Was the knocking by the transmission while idle or driving? (actually, isnt it hard to get your head under there to know its by the transmission?)

One day I WILL make my PT behave!
Old 03 Aug 2013, 11:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 07 Cruiser ran rough then died after timing belt and water pump replacement

Is the check engine light coming on?.....Also;Have you done 'the key dance' to check for any check engine codes?
Old 03 Aug 2013, 11:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 07 Cruiser ran rough then died after timing belt and water pump replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLB View Post
with all marks lined up (prior to removing old belt and did not move anything because I know it is an interference engine) replaced the timing belt.
Even leaving everthing in place,there is still room for error when installing a new belt.....It can end up off when you tighten the new belt,and if your off by even ONE tooth/notch,it can cause it to be out of timing(even seasoned auto-techs get it wrong)......The best pictures we have on alignment for the timing belt install are these right here:

Everything needs to be lined up EXACTLY as seen in these photos.Photos courtesy of Busted_PT
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 10:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Spot on with the picks, you should definitely re-examine those timing marks again and the tension on the belts with the tensioner. No other reason it would do that other than some stuff got into the intake when was dissassembled and needs blowing out.