PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lug issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2013, 05:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Lug issues

Hi there

Today I was removing a mcgard lock lugs to remove my rim and the removal key broke. And I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how to remove the nut now. The only problem is there is not much clearance between the rim and the nut just enough for the key.

Thanks

Corey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.3 KB, 21 views)
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 05:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Lug issues

Have you checked any auto parts supply near you?....They might sell just the key;Worst case scenario,you'll have to buy a set of the same McGuard lug nuts (Pk of 5) to get the new key.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 05:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Lug issues

^ i like his idea, i've never even though of that. ..but i've always liked the challenge of removing those

you can drill the center and use an easy out.

or..

grind the outer shell of a socket so it fits in the hole (check it on a different hole with no lugnut to make sure it fits), then pound it over the mcgard lug and unscrew it. i've removed a few of those like this. i enjoy it really.

Last edited by rob342; 04 Aug 2013 at 05:53 pm.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

IF, your still have the package when you bought the McGard locking lugs, it will have a code that represents the specific key and you can call McGard for an extra one ...if you have the time to wait.

I have a set on my cruiser and my wife's car and when I bought each set I made sure to send for an extra key in case of loss.

Pounding a socket to fit over the McGard lock nut probably won't work either because the outside of the locking lug is round giving no grip to any kind of socket.

Your might try this......

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Aug 2013 at 06:06 pm.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 06:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Do you need to get your wheel off today?...Because;I did some checking for you,and found out you can call & get a replacement key....Just call McGardCustomer Service Department for further instructions at 716-662-8980, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Eastern time.(That phone number is for all orders outside the United States)For more info visit: McGard Security Products(CREWZIN & I pulled the trigger at the same time!lol)
Old 04 Aug 2013, 06:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You may check your local Walmart for this!!!!Mechanics M980 Emergency Lug Nut Remover Socket Set: Tools : Walmart.comI found this '5 Star' review on that page:
They work! 09/22/2012

I used this to remove a locking lug nut ( the things you put on in place of a regular lug nut that requires a special key wrench to remove , so it is harder for someone to steal your wheels of your car ) . My key wrench had broken , but they also get lost of course. My locking lug nuts were completely round and hardened , so very hard to get a grip on and then apply enough torque to break lose . This tool has reverse threads so it bites when you are unscrewing a log nut 9 or bolt or nut . AS you can see 2 sizes come in the set but they have to be pretty exactly the size needed for your particular application. The range of sizes they fit are listed on the packaging . I did learn one thing in using them which is that you must UNSCREW THEM from the nut you have just revved rather than just knocking them off with a hammer because the fine threads can be damaged making the tool useless . Best way I think to unscrew them is to get an appropriately size bolt that the nut fits ( same as the studs of your wheels) , then screw the old nut onto it all the way , put the head of the bolt in a strong vise and screw the tool with nut stuck inside off by turning clockwise as if you were tightening it on .
I also hear some tire shops have tools to remove locking lug nuts with out the key wrench
Also when you buy a replacement set of locking lug nuts make sure the key looks unbreakable and buy 2 sets so you have a spare key. some locking lug nuts and their matching keys are only meant to be used with hand tools , NOT AIR WRENCHES !!! Ok now you know what I spent lots of time and money to figure out . You're welcome .I think this is the same thing used in the YouTube video posted by CREWZIN..They're $9.97 @ Walmart.(If you can find one near you.)

Last edited by randyincctx; 04 Aug 2013 at 06:31 pm. Reason: Update
Old 04 Aug 2013, 06:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Or this: Mcgard Wheel Lock Key Replacement | eBay(It says there is 1 person watching this item....I was thinking it might be you!lol)
Old 04 Aug 2013, 06:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank u everyone. I have tryed my local part stores and no one has a key like mine. And I haven't been able to located that removal nut. No one in my area sells this item. Tommorw as I live in Canada is the civic holiday so all tire shops r closed. But I have heard they have a removal tool prolly similar to the one u guys have listed. I'm goin to try the shops around town to see if they can remove it for me. As the nut is deep in the rim with not a lot of access to it before I call mcgard for a new key.
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I lost the key to my lock lug nuts and called around to get price quotes to remove them. One garage wanted $26 per wheel. Another wanted $50 for all 4. I ended up taking it to the Sears Auto shop. They only wanted $24. Its a flat rate of $6 per locking lug nut.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 08:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Lug issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisenAround View Post
Its a flat rate of $6 per locking lug nut.
I rather pay Walmart $9.97,and I get to add another tool to my collection....LOL