Advertisements
Engine Torque Struts

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2013, 05:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Engine Torque Struts

Well, after the valve job and timing belt my little PT runs like a top. Except for a nasty shake about 55 to 65 mph. Hmm. I am getting all sorts of diagnosis from transmission to axle shafts. But one that intrigues me is that I didn't know there was a setting on the torque struts. Could this be the reason for the shake?
Old 05 Aug 2013, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Torque Struts

What do you feel and what do you feel it through? Steering wheel shaking. Brake pedal or does it change if you use the brake?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Aug 2013, 09:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

first step towards finding out whats shaking is to rotate the tires. put the front tires on the back and go from there. usually a shake at a certain speed is a tire problem. carefully inspect them for lumps and flat spots when you do it.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 05 Aug 2013, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Please let me know if you ever find a solution to this problem. I have a 2006 with a manual transmission in it. So far, i've replaced both CV Axle's, outer tie rod ends, left wheel bearing, tried 2 sets of tires, and motor mounts, and I still have a nasty shake in the front end between 50-60, only when i'm accelerating. As soon as I let off of the throttle, the shake goes away. My local trusted shop is completely stumped, and we're not excited about throwing more money into the problem without getting any resolution.
Old 05 Aug 2013, 07:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Engine Torque Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
Well, after the valve job and timing belt my little PT runs like a top. Except for a nasty shake about 55 to 65 mph. Hmm. I am getting all sorts of diagnosis from transmission to axle shafts. But one that intrigues me is that I didn't know there was a setting on the torque struts. Could this be the reason for the shake?
Have you had anyone look at your torque struts/bushings?

Last edited by randyincctx; 05 Aug 2013 at 07:13 pm. Reason: responding to 1st poster
Old 05 Aug 2013, 07:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Engine Torque Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
first step towards finding out whats shaking is to rotate the tires. put the front tires on the back and go from there. usually a shake at a certain speed is a tire problem. carefully inspect them for lumps and flat spots when you do it.
That's also another simple thing to look at doing.....
Old 06 Aug 2013, 05:30 am
Cool Cruiser

No shaking in the steering wheel or when braking. It when accelerating between 55 and 65 mph. It will shake the GPS off the dash. Once cruising its fine unless you give it a little gas. It did it before the valve job, just not as bad, so that's why im leaning toward the torque struts. Well, Tires are new less than 5000 miles on them. Kind of side to side, up and down shake
Old 06 Aug 2013, 08:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like an axle problem. I know you said you replaced them - I went through three "reman" axles from Advanced Auto before I got a good one.

I actually had both sides giving me grief. One side shook with power on, the other side did it while decelerating. Took me a while to figure that one out.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!