PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Died, crank->run->die plus MOONROOF?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2013, 12:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Died, crank->run->die plus MOONROOF?

Long distance diagnosis here, so I'm looking for any ideas:

'01 PT, around 160k. A mess of work done about 20k ago, including a timing belt and head gasket so I am ruling major engine problems out for now.

Car started and ran normal, but during a drive died. I don't know if it was in motion or stopped when it died. Since then, it will crank and start but die immediately.

The weirdness: Right before it died, the moonroof opened and closed itself.

Unfortunately codes cannot be pulled right now, so I'm hoping for some spitballing...
Old 06 Aug 2013, 01:18 am
Banned

Question Re: Died, crank->run->die plus MOONROOF?

Did you experience this or was just told what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
Long distance diagnosis here, so I'm looking for any ideas:

'01 PT, around 160k. A mess of work done about 20k ago, including a timing belt and head gasket so I am ruling major engine problems out for now.

Car started and ran normal, but during a drive died. I don't know if it was in motion or stopped when it died. Since then, it will crank and start but die immediately.

The weirdness: Right before it died, the moonroof opened and closed itself.

Unfortunately codes cannot be pulled right now, so I'm hoping for some spitballing...
Old 06 Aug 2013, 06:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Died, crank->run->die plus MOONROOF?

Busa, I'm pretty sure this is second hand knowledge of what happened because the way he's telling it and can't give us more information.

That is unusual that the moon room opened and closed on it's own. Wonder if the battery was dying and finally died which causes funny things to happen but usually it's the door locks or needles on the gauges. But then again, it wouldn't start up and stop immediately if the battery was dead.

Back to basics, the engine needs fuel and spark. Both have to be checked to start a diagnostic.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 06 Aug 2013, 10:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Died, crank->run->die plus MOONROOF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
In this situation,the codes can be more important than any description you give......Get the codes,post them here,and you'll get alot more feedback.
Old 06 Aug 2013, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

like said make sure the battery is hot and good check for spark make sure you have fuel in the tank guess it could still be a fuel pump but they dont go out much
Old 06 Aug 2013, 12:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

I am being told this by the driver, who is 400 miles away. She is *terrible* with cars, so for all I know when the car died she freaked out and hit the moonroof switch herself.

Her initial opinion was "I ran it out of oil and NOW IT'S DEAD!" She said there was barely oil on the dipstick. Not a good sign, obviously, but probably not enough to actually kill the motor. I confirmed the OIL light hadn't been on, so it seems unlikely low oil is the root cause here. Plus, the car does restart - it just immediately dies.

She called AAA and the guy could not get it restarted. I don't think he did any diagnosis save maybe test the battery. I presume he also checked to be sure it wasn't out of gas, although based on the symptoms that was my first guess. He towed it to a shop, that's where it is.

I don't trust this shop - I don't think they're liars, but I don't think they should be actually working on cars. It's a quick service brake place. She insists on taking her car to these types of places - previously it was Pep Boys but I told her if she continued to take it there I would never help her with a car problem again. Soooooo... now we have Brake Pros.

I am trying to find the place so I can call it and see what's up. My gut tells me it's a crank or cam sensor or maybe a fuel pump. I'm hoping not the fuel pump as I'm sure that's a bitch to change. The fuel filter is just shy of three years and 20,000 miles old so probably not that. If anyone has any other ideas, especially one that might tie into the moonroof weirdness I'd sure love to hear it.
Old 06 Aug 2013, 12:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Found the shop on Google Maps (Man I love the intertubes!!!) so gave them a call. Car started fine this morning. They say it's got a misfire code and a stumbley idle, so they are replacing the cam sensor. Also said the spark plugs were fouled and are replacing those. The plugs were new 20k ago, but I imagine if the cam sensor went wonky it could have wrecked the plugs.

We'll see...
Old 06 Aug 2013, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Im not sure where you are or where the car is but you really need a OEM MOPAR sensor the PT will not like a aftermarket and how it knows is beyond me but i have been there and the after market quit in a day 20,000 on plugs is not much i went 80,000 on first set but if it getts it running and on the missfire code that is a ghost that haunts a lot of PTs mine will pop up now and then I usally clear it and keep driving some have spent hours and dollars trying to find and fix it