Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser dies after warm up, restarts ten minutes later, code 0320

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2013, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Craig1967
Default 2001 PT Cruiser dies after warm up, restarts ten minutes later, code 0320

My wife and I own a 2001 PT Cruiser. Lately it has started dying when we drive. It has 156k miles onit. New timing belt at 130k, along with cam and crank sensors.

The car starts fine when cold, but dies within a few minutes. I replaced the cam sensor after getting the code for it. Started the car and let it sit and it died in 8 minutes.

I have read posts about the wires to the cam sensor being routed over the head and building up resistance when hot. Is it a viable solution to change those wires or can I test them for resistance/voltage to determine if they are the problem?

I have also read that the cam sensor should be spaced .040 or it will not function properly. If the sensor is closer than .040 will it still allow the car to start then kill it after it gets hot, then restart when it cools?

Any other ideas or solutions would be appreciated. My email is iowaprepper@gmail.com if you want to email me direct.

I appreciate your time and effort, and all that goes into this forum.

Craig-
Old 07 Aug 2013, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser dies after warm up, restarts ten minutes later, code 0320

Welcome to the forum.

The fault code (P0320) IS the Camshaft sensor. Make sure your using ONLY MOPAR sensors as after market store bought sensors don't last or don't work at all.

If your worried about the space for the camshaft sensor, use a torque wrench to put it in and tighten it down to specs, which are 115 in-lbs, or 13 Nm.

Also, good idea to replace the camshaft Target Magnet at the same time as the sensor. It can go bad and without any outward signs.

As far as the camshaft sensor wire loom going over the head, not sure I ever heard that one. It's routed around the back of the engine and fastened with tiny wire wraps that can break and let the harness drop down to where it will touch something and burn the wires. Happened to me.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Aug 2013 at 03:03 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2013, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Craig1967
Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser dies after warm up, restarts ten minutes later, code 0320

I will shoot a pic of it tomorrow. It certainly goes over the top of the motor. It isn't long enough to go around the motor or be attached with clips to anything.

If the magnet goes bad does it just go out or does it run intermittently, like when cold or after cooling off? The problem seems to occur only when the car gets heated up. It isn't overheating or anything, just heating up to normal temp and it dies and the code P0320 pops up.

Any thoughts on testing the wiring harness for resistance when the motor is hot? What ohm reading would I be looking for.
Old 08 Aug 2013, 06:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When the magnet goes bad, it's usually not the heat related problems you are having but it has caused problems that fixed other owners PT. It's a cheap fix so it can't hurt.

Testing the wiring harness is beyond me as far as what to look for in ohm resistance. I only test for continuity.

If the harness is running on top of the engine, someone before you has had problems with it before and may have replaced it by taking a shortcut across rather than around the back side of the engine.

Tags
camshaft sensor, car dies, pt cruiser 2001, restarts when cooled