Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By neoplanman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2013, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Serial leaker from front engine seal

anybody have a clue ?

Working on a 06 non turbo.

I didnt see it when the story I got started, but supposedly a new owner / used car had it just a few days and saw a heavy oil leak from engine front (note, there were oil streams down the underside , like it had been leaking to some degree for some time.)

It was brought into a small repair shop for the oil leak, and that guy did a timing belt and front seal, but did not remove the pan or oil pump.

Soon as engine was started, it started heavy leaking under pressure, front seal blown again. Mechanic reported that the oil pump looked like it had been 'staked' around the oil seal, as if to keep it in. Owner & shop agreed to part ways.

I got called to try to fix. I pulled the pump and pan. Pan had some fine filth in it but no metal shavings. Crank journal looked OK seal surface. I put a good used oil pump on it with new seal of course. Started engine and it resumed fast leaking from front seal. ratz.

I presume the pressure relief valve is functional, on at least one of the two oil pumps that have leaked! yet it still seems the pump is over pressuring enough to blow the seal.

The only think I can think of is a spun thrust bearing blocking the crank flow. I did not think to run a rod down the block oil galley to check for obstruction.

Anyone have or have something similar occur ?

thanks
Old 07 Aug 2013, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Serial leaker from front engine seal

I'm no expert... I think i've heard that from years '05-'07 maybe, that for some reason the crank tends to walk on them... again, I forget exactly why, but that's known to happen, and when it does, it pushes right out of the crank seals on the engine. I'm sure somebody else on here can point you in the right direction.
UptownSport likes this.
Old 07 Aug 2013, 07:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I understand they only used one thrust bearing instead of a full thrust bearing
Old 07 Aug 2013, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah did a little more reading -

then yanked my crank. (Not near as much fun as I recall.)

Excessive thrust play.

figuring out plan B.

Uptown , did you mean to say they used a single flange thrust bearing, not a double flanged (like a 03 I jsut did had ?)

thanks all
Old 07 Aug 2013, 08:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sometime in 06 and all 07's they used a single thrust bearing in the na's. It can't handle the crank and the crank walks and pushes out out the front seal. Lots of info on the net about it.
Old 07 Aug 2013, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

still not clear on the advice --
there was only ONE thrust bearing on at least an '03 too ...

That single thrust bearing was on Main #3.

That thrust bearing was a two sided thrust bearing ( fore and aft shoulders, on both bearing halves . )

anyway found this;

Case Number K93016699
Vehicle Issue Crankshaft front seal pops out of the front cover.
Year 2005 , 2006
Model JR - Sebring/Stratus Sedan , JR - Sebring Convertible , PT - Chrysler Cruiser , RS - Caravan, Voyager, Town and Country
Engine 2.4L 4 CYL DOHC 16V SMPI , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V H.O. TURBO , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V TURBO
System or Component Front Seal Area
Symptom Engine Oil Leak , Fluid / Lubricant Leak
Region Front
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification Crankshaft front seal had popped out. Replaced the seal, and the same condition occurred again.
Recommendation If the front crank seal is popped out of position, measure the crankshaft end play. If the end play is out of spec (acceptable range is .090mm-.240mm/.0035"-.0094"), perform the following procedure;

Remove engine from vehicle (follow procedure as outlined in the service manual).

Remove bedplate (follow procedure as outlined in the service manual).

Inspect the following components: Rod bearings, main bearings, #3 thrust bearing, and #3 bulkhead for scoring.

If rod bearings, main bearings, and/or bulkhead are scored, replace short block.

If rod and main bearings show no scoring, but #3 thrust surface is scored, go to next step.

Measure width of the #3 bulkhead in the engine block and bedplate (Specification is 23.56/23.51mm). If measurement falls outside the range of specifications, then replace the short block.

Inspect crankshaft thrust faces (front and rear). If scored and/or worn, replace crankshaft.

Inspect condition of thrust bearing. If scored and/or worn, replace all new engine bearings.

Inspect back side of the oil pump (look for contact condition between the crankshaft and oil pump) – If contact is observed, install new oil pump, and a new front crankshaft seal.

Modification Date 11/9/05 12:03 PM

NOTE THE dropped bomb "measure width of #3 bulk head on block and bedplate and ... spec is 23.56 / 23.51 mm ... if outside, REPLACE SHORT BLOCK"

Last edited by gtgt_bangbang; 07 Aug 2013 at 09:31 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2013, 09:04 am
Senior Cruiser

I am not sure all I know is what I have read in the past. Something they did with the thrust bearing. They realized the issue and changed it sometime in 2007. The only fix I have read is to put a new short block in it.
Old 08 Aug 2013, 09:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You could just weld it IF you're willing to disassemble it.

Crankshaft supply will do the crank.

That I mean is:

Except there is only one shell that's a thrust bearing, and the other would be replaced with another one of the other bearings.
So you'd have nine that are the same, and one that's not like the others

I don't know this as fact- It was repeated here?