PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT GETTING HOT AGAIN??

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2013, 09:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default PT GETTING HOT AGAIN??

04 PT NON TURBO..started getting hot last summer it would slowly move up from 3oclock position to the next mark then go back down,,up a little then back down..if i turned the heat on it would drop back down...got low on water 1 x..

ran good all winter till last week when it got got again,,so i swaped the thermo out no good..then i swaped it out again..ran ok for awhile..replaced the temp switch....

got hot again after a few weeks,,so i drained the radaitor and put flush in it,,,refilled with water then water started running down the side of motor..

sooo now new water pump,,timing belt..idlers everything in there and replaced all the motor mounts...

ahhh running great all day ..then about 25miles down the road hot again???
never let it get very close to the red,,i always shut it down and watch it cloes...sooo i added alomose a gallon of coolent,,,ran about 20miles hot again

sat for 3hrs outside temp dropped and rain...so muc cooler,,,ran 40+ miles home and was gurggling but the temp guage was not very warm??

now i"m thinking maybe the fans shuttin down or not up to speed??

or the radaitor is stopped up??..

any other ideas?? or thoughts???
Old 08 Aug 2013, 02:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PT GETTING HOT AGAIN??

if you're getting gurggling, burp the system a few times to get rid of the air.
Old 08 Aug 2013, 03:56 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Garya1682

my pt suffered from an over heating issue and one of the symptoms was a bubbling/gurgle sound it then progressed on to full over heating and steam coming out of my engine. the cause was a combination of a blown headgasket + broken high speed and low speed relays + broken fan motor + broken wires in the front wiring loom.
im not saying that is why yours is acting up but I would at least check to make sure

2002 cruiser
2.0L PETROL AUTO
80k miles
Old 08 Aug 2013, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You are giving strong clues to your problem in your first post.

The "gurgling" is not always and less likely that there is air in the system. The really only time that steam pockets form is during a coolant flush when the refill is done improperly.
The gurgling sound after engine shutdown on an engine that did not previously have the sound may be a coolant system not sealing properly? When this happens the coolant will claim in temperature from heat soak and boil off after you turn the engine off. If you are sure it is not a head sealing issue and there are no signs of coolant leak on the ground then look at the radiator cap the thermostat housing and even the radiator for any signs of very small leaks that would not normally be seen or cause a leak large enough to be seen on the ground.
If you wiggle the radiator cap by carefully pushing it back and forth and it leaks or gives off air sound that is the area that needs attention. The radiator is a bit more complicated in that you need to do a coolant system pressure test. Personally I would have it performed anyway chances are you will find your problem.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Aug 2013 at 08:29 am.
Old 08 Aug 2013, 01:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

ok thanks..I did notice that the cap rubber had split and was in bad shape?? I was gonna replace that first ..could that be my issue?,,,and yes a pressure check will be next too..its never got very close to the red on the guage so I dont think i"ve ever got it to hot..I watch it all the time....I"m gonna chec the heater core hoses and look for leeks this weekend..I pray its not a head gasket..I just spent $$ for the timing belt,,dont wanna do it again..I wil keep u posted..

is there a special why to refill it to get the air out??
Old 08 Aug 2013, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My personal method of bleeding is to park on an incline with the engine at the high point. Fill the coolant with the proper mix for the season. Start the engine and let it get to operation temperature and PCM cycle without touching the throttle. This may take some time and tricky in cooler climates. After the engine and PCM have cycled I shut down the engine and wait 5 minutes. This allows for heat soak and steam to pressurize in the head area. If any engine or head area's may have pockets of pressurized air they will usually dissipate when you open the bleed valve. Once the engine is cool enough to safely open the coolant system up be removing the radiator cap I let the engine stand until it is completely cool or equalized to the ambient. This may even take the vehicle to remain sitting overnight? At that time I will top of the coolant and she is good to go. This has worked for me on hundreds of vehicles over the years and only a few isolated times have I had an issue.

It my opinion based on your posted information that you are seeking the wrong beast with the coolant and air pockets in the head?
Old 08 Aug 2013, 04:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Red face Re: PT GETTING HOT AGAIN??

thanks I agree its not an air pocket issue...I"ll check all theother stuff saturday and see what I find..I will post more then..thanks for yr help..

I hope I find a leek..
Old 08 Aug 2013, 04:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

would a bad cap cause any of this? cause it to blow out the ccoolent from the over flow tank?? cause there was alot of coolent down behind the motor when i pulled over to check it?..I assumed it came from the over flow tank?
Old 09 Aug 2013, 05:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Drum; the radiator cap MUST be in good condition and both seals must be crack-free. The hose going back to the reservoir must also be good, [and air tight]. This is essential for the cooling system to work!

Rebleed and run through a few hot / cold engine cycles to remove air from the head. Fill reservoir to line as needed.
Old 09 Aug 2013, 08:05 am
Cool Cruiser

well mine was shot...i replaced it last nite and refilled it,,let it idle till it got to run temp..watched for any leeks...then drove it 5 miles,,and watched for leeks again..no leeks?? gonna drive it again this weekend and see..it was fine around town befor i drove it say 25 mles at 55 then it started the probs..I pray that fixed it cause I"ve really kept this car up on maint...

I"ll post again this weekend the results..