Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Code P1494 every 5th start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2013, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Code P1494 every 5th start.

Hello PT experts. I'm working on my mothers 2001 Cruiser. It has an error code P1494 - Evap Leak Detection Pump Pressure Switch Condition. When I clear the code using a code reader it will start 5 or 6 times before the code comes back. Just curious if this pattern means anything to anyone with regards to diagnosing the issue. FYI - I replaced the fuel filler cap just to eliminate that as a possibility.

Any help or info on the P1494 code would be great... need to get this inspected soon.

I'll be sure to post the fix once I figure this out.
Old 09 Aug 2013, 09:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Code P1494 every 5th start.

Make sure you turn the cap clock-wise till it clicks a couple times to make sure it's locked on after filling the tank.

Without the scanner, the engine light usually stays on for a particular amount of starts before turning off itself. Maybe just using your reader, doesn't clear the code, only gets rid of the fault light. The computer still has to see the required number of starts.

Here's an answer I gave someone else awhile back:

"P1494 (M) Leak Detection Pump Sw or Mechanical Incorrect input state detected for the Leak Detection Fault Pump (LDP) pressure switch" is the actual 1494 error code.

The code could be set for a number of reasons such as a faulty gas cap, cracked vacuum lines, solenoids & vent valves stuck to the pump itself. It can be a very difficult fault to cure being it doesnít take a very big leak anywhere in the system to set the code and thatís if itís a leak and not an electrical or mechanical fault.

Start with the easiest, look at your fuel cap. Is the gasket good? Buy a new one, clean where it seats well, put it on making sure it clicks at least 3 times, and see if that solves it. If not you will have to start looking at hoses for hairline cracks. And yes, although it's rare, sometimes the canister itself gets a crack and needs to be replaced. It will be a dealer only item of course.

===================

check the gas cap for signs of rust
check hoses by the purge solenoid.and by the throttlebody on the intake manifold and replace if cracked
per Chrysler/jeep training
a code must not be erased ,rather fix the problem and let the car run 3 good trips.you accomplish this by running vehicle like you normally do(if you do not have a (drb3)(scanner)until the car no longer "sees" the problem on three consecutive self diagnostic tests.the car will then clear the code meaning the problem is solved

================================

On a personal note. My wife's brand new KIA had the engine light come on a full day after I filled it up. There's no way to get the code on a KIA without a scanner. Car was running OK and I called the dealer for an appointment. They said "check the gas cap", and I said SURE, the old gas cap trick. But I did take it off and put it back on making it click shut at least 4 or 5 clicks, and made the appointment anyway. Before the appointment came around, the light went out. I guess it really was the gas cap. Sounds like you might have the same thing.

Tags
2001 pt cruiser, p1494