PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery, Starter, or Gremlin ??

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2013, 11:33 am
Young Cruiser

Default Battery, Starter, or Gremlin ??

Ok here i am back again, the mechanically dense one.

Funny thing has been happening. Yesterday morning when i turned the key to start, it took a second, sounded a little odd, all my needles jumped (lights lit as they usually do) and then...fine. Drove to work, fine. Left work, started no issues, stopped at the store, started back up fine, then home.

This morning, made another funny noise hesitated to start, needles jumped, but started. Fine. Went to my appointment, maybe 2 hours later, go to start, funny whirry noise, didn't think it'd kick over, so i turned off, back on to start, funny whir, started up. Drove home. My husband came out, started it twice, kicked on right away no problems.

So, is it maybe my battery going, my starter acting up, or does this car just have a gremlin in it that doesn't like me ?? Called my brother in law he thinks it could be a battery issue, and at the very worst case, a bad ground somewhere. I have to have someone help us later get to the battery so i can see if the leads have corrosion on them (i think there was minor accumulation last time we had it exposed when changing out cam sensor.)

No codes.

Oh, stats on car- 2005 base, 102,500 mi.

Any input ?
Old 09 Aug 2013, 12:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Battery, Starter, or Gremlin ??

So just to update....my husband just left to run an errand and i hear the car start as the driveway is next to our living room....started up no problems again. I really think this car just hates me. In all seriousness though, here's a crazy thought- he has used his key, i've used mine- would that cause a problem ?
Old 09 Aug 2013, 05:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Use his key and just prior to starting give it a gentle caress and tell it that you love it and appreciate it and would never grind its gears..
Start and drive away and enjoy.
PS : Please put the seat back up in the washroom when you're done too
eline65 likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 09 Aug 2013, 06:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Vlefaive, good answer ! And yes, I always pat her on the rump every day i drive her the 74 mile round trip to work & back saying THANKS PETUNIA

Had to run a few more errands this afternoon. Used my key, no problems. I'm starting to lean towards the "gremlin in the car that hates me & wants to give me ageda" thing hahaha ! In all seriousness though, i will get under hood & get the battery exposed so I can take a look for corrosion on the leads, the battery is only a year old BUT i have heard that a battery can lose a lot of its oomph after a hard summer & winter back to back, which we had here (if that is really true). I'll keep you all posted.
Old 09 Aug 2013, 07:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

You've come to the right place, standby and I'm sure you'll hear from someone who has a good idea ... I'm thinkin "Crewzin" for starters
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 09 Aug 2013, 07:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Battery, Starter, or Gremlin ??

Have you checked to see if maybe just the battery terminals are needing a good cleaning?....and while your in there,see if you can tell what date/how old the battery is.
Old 09 Aug 2013, 08:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi Randy-

I haven't gotten in there to get the battery exposed to see if there's any corrosion but i seem to recall the last time we had it exposed (when the Cam Shaft sensor replaced) i thought i remember seeing a little bit there on the terminals. Trying to remember if my friend cleaned it- thinking not...he was focused on the sensor at the time. The only kind of irritating thing to me about the design of the car is where the battery is hidden under the air box filter thingy (mechanically dense, remember that lol). Planning on having my other brother in law come by (he's local unlike the one i called today) to get that off for me so we can look.

As far as how old the battery is, we bought it from Advance Auto last July and installed it....i know though, that a battery could've been sitting on the shelf for who knows how long. Also, we've had severe winter cold and summer heat- is it true that if the battery goes through that back to back it shortens the life ? Someone told me that years ago....not sure if they were yanking my chain or not.
Old 09 Aug 2013, 08:21 pm
Young Cruiser

And off subject, one of these days i want to be able to handle all of this stuff on my own (as far as minor repairs, troubleshooting- heck i wanna learn how to change out my own oil and plugs n wires too). I've gone from a young girl who squiggled under her first car to try and repair an exhaust pipe hole while 7 months pregnant, to a 35 year old biddy who has anxiety attacks when something "dings" or "sputters" or what not.
Old 09 Aug 2013, 11:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Battery, Starter, or Gremlin ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iryss9 View Post
The only kind of irritating thing to me about the design of the car is where the battery is hidden under the air box filter thingy (mechanically dense, remember that lol).
I think that's part of the reason they are more prone to get corrosion;Being slightly enclosed allows just about any condensation to linger longer than it should.......Hopefully when you check it,it just needs cleaning.....With a PT Cruiser's battery set-up,I would recommend a good cleaning of the terminals with a terminal brush,then installing some of the 'red & green' treated felt terminal washers,and even spaying the posts/terminals with 'terminal protectant/sealer'....That should at least help keep corrosion away longer than usual.(NOT permanantly though!)
Battery Terminal Brush: Battery Post and Terminal Cleaner - Wire Brush Deka Wiring DW00254
Battery Washers: Buy Autocraft Anti-Corrosive Battery Washers, (2 Piece) AC619 at Advance Auto Parts
Battery Terminal Protecting Spray: CRC Battery Terminal Protector | AW Direct

I just posted these links as examples,you can find all 3 items fairly cheap @ just about any place that sells automotive products & supplies.(Even Walmart)
Here's a video how-to also:
Battery Terminal Brush Cleaner | AutoZone.com
Old 10 Aug 2013, 01:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Vlef; 'Crewzin for starters' ??? Have you no shame?