PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reprogrammed some vehicle options today - FUN!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2013, 01:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Reprogrammed some vehicle options today - FUN!

I've been around Chrysler stuff for a while, but this is my first PT (actually got it for my daughter). I wanted to see what kind of programming options existed for the car, but were not enabled. Since this is a base model, I figured some of the features from the higher models would be present.

Here's what I have reprogrammed so far:

Added VTA - Vehicle Theft Alarm
Now when you open a door or the hatch after locking it with the remote, the alarm goes off.

Added DRL - Daytime Running Lights
I put these on the high beams, but they are actually configurable for the low beam or turn signals. I set them at 10V so they are not as bright as the normal high beams.

Added "One touch lane change" - this is a feature that other Chrysler vehicles have where you can tap the turn signal left or right and get a 3 flash of the turn signals. It's real nice for freeway driving.

Added Premium TPMS - this feature now gives me individual tire pressure readings in the EVIC.

Added Reverse Chime - this gives several chime sounds when putting the vehicle in reverse. I may not leave this enabled, but it might be good for my daughter as she is learning to drive.

Added MyGig Navigation - I actually "borrowed" my wife's MyGig unit to do some testing and everything works fine in the PT. You don't need the Mygig adapter unit that others have posted about. You can actually install it with just a wiring harness adapter. However, I did lose the options to enable the rear camera and video playback when in the PT, so having the adapter box (Coastal, Allgig, etc.) will help you keep those features as well as give you the ability to enter addresses while in motion.

Below is a pic of the Mygig when I was testing it. I need to buy one to be able to do a permanent install, but it will fit fine with only needing to modify the radio cutout on the trim panel.

PT_Mygig.jpg

I am hesitant to post what I did here because I know that there will be questions as to how I reprogrammed this stuff. Suffice it to say that I have access to advanced hardware & software that allows reconfiguring the "build" config of a vehicle. No this is not the same as what a dealer has.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 02:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Reprogrammed some vehicle options today - FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392SRT8 View Post
However, I did lose the options to enable the rear camera and video playback when in the PT, so having the adapter box (Coastal, Allgig, etc.) will help you keep those features as well as give you the ability to enter addresses while in motion.
It won't work by just grounding the parking brake wire,or using a relay?(12 VDC Automotive 5-Pin Relay SPDT 30/40A Bosch Type)
Old 10 Aug 2013, 05:22 am
Banned

Default Re: Reprogrammed some vehicle options today - FUN!

Oh please, get off your high horse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am hesitant to post what I did here because I know that there will be questions as to how I reprogrammed this stuff. Suffice it to say that I have access to advanced hardware & software that allows reconfiguring the "build" config of a vehicle. No this is not the same as what a dealer has
Old 10 Aug 2013, 10:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
It won't work by just grounding the parking brake wire,or using a relay?(12 VDC Automotive 5-Pin Relay SPDT 30/40A Bosch Type)
Unfortunately that only works for aftermarket units. Everything in the newer Chrysler/Jeep vehicles is based on communication over the CAN bus. When the vehicle is in reverse, a data packet is being transmitted to state that the vehicle is in reverse. It's up to the radio to interpret that data and turn on the backup camera. Using CAN bus cuts down on a ton of wiring in the vehicle and allows modules to trigger other modules to take action based on just a data packet. e.g. TCM sends out gear position, radio takes action on that.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 11:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Oh please, get off your high horse.
LOL, whatever.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 11:07 am
Regular Cruiser

392SRT8

Not sure why you posted this if you wont tell anyone how you did any of the mods.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 11:14 am
Senior Cruiser

To bragg about it, what else
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 10 Aug 2013, 11:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

^lol you guys are dicks

you mention your daughter drives it, so you might consider making the DRL's low beams. i, along with most others, hate brights in my rearview. it's annoying, and i brake check pretty much any car behind me with their brights on.

i think it's neat you can do all that. i assume you can adjust the timing?

why do you have the computer that can do this? is it something you purchased or something you made? just curious, i like to hack stuff
Old 10 Aug 2013, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
^lol you guys are dicks

you mention your daughter drives it, so you might consider making the DRL's low beams. i, along with most others, hate brights in my rearview. it's annoying, and i brake check pretty much any car behind me with their brights on.

i think it's neat you can do all that. i assume you can adjust the timing?

why do you have the computer that can do this? is it something you purchased or something you made? just curious, i like to hack stuff
Like rob said, I like some of the things you can do. How would one get such things done?. Who would be able to do these things? Say other than you!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Aug 2013, 01:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

do you use something like can232 and tinker with this in your free time, or is this something you do for a living using fancy expensive equipment? i'm trying not to pry too much or ask for a drawn out explanation. just curious. my car is older and thankfully can-bus free, as it seems to be a cause of many headaches for people on here(doing things such as causing the left headlight turn off for no reason).

can you do fun stuff, like make it honk the horn every third time you hit the brakes?

like say you store a variable B with the value of 0, and a 2 second honk defined as H
have it "B = B + 1" every time you hit the brake,
and then "if B == 3 then H; B = 0"

i ask because i think about making my arduino do things like this, but on my car it would require extra relays and physically hunting down and tapping all the different wiring. im sure this is exactly what you are trying to avoid answering. lol. just curious

Last edited by rob342; 10 Aug 2013 at 01:59 pm.