Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C rebuild on 2006 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2013, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile A/C rebuild on 2006 PT Cruiser

Hi folks. I'm looking for info on doing an A/C rebuild for a 2006 PT 2.4L Automatic. I need useful info like:

- you'll need this size wrench
- you have to take off the passenger side tire to get to the compressor
- etc, etc, etc

Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.
I'm doing this for a little old lady from our church. She has had her car in to a couple different mechanics:

The first one replaced the cooling fan - $200
The second one replaced her AC hoses. That worked for a week or so. She took it back when it stopped working. He said something about a bad O-ring. He replaced it and it worked - again for a couple weeks. The next time she took it in, he told her that the AC compressor was gone out and it would cost $600-$700 bucks to replace.

Anyway, I just did some A/C work for another elderly couple, so I figured I help her out. The parts don't come anywhere CLOSE to $600. The labor (me) will be free...I just want to know what I'm getting into before I start.

Anything I should look out for...anything "they don't tell ya" or etc.

I'm planning on replacing:
- the compressor
- the dryer
- the hoses

I'm only replacing the hoses this time because the orifice tube is located in the hose and if the compressor IS out, there may be metal shavings in there...hate to rebuild it to have it die again; better to start with a complete new system.

OK, so what am I missing? Keep me sane folks. And I'm not uncle money bags, so ANY help there would be very appreciated....meaning TIPS on how to save or where to save $$.

HOW BIG OF A JOB IS THIS? I'M NOT BAD WITH A WRENCH, BUT I KNOW MY LIMITS.

THANK YOU!