PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lock chatter, honking, battery drain... advice?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2013, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lock chatter, honking, battery drain... advice?

Hi, guys - hope someone here can help.!

My 2001 PT (69,000 miles) horn alarm has been going off randomly and frequently, the locks jiggle when accelerating and the battery has died twice this last week.

AAA did diagnostics and said the battery was good, and when it died the 3rd time it went to the Chrysler Dealer.

They had it 7 days, did diagnostics with Chrysler Central, eventually replaced the RKE module - apparently the interface between electronics in the key and the electronics in the car? and I got it back (minus $458) last night.

Driving away from the dealership the locks were chattering again and I brought it back to the garage. We did 2 test drives, no lock action dammit, and they sent it home with me.

Today the horn alarm went off twice and the locks went berserk and I brought it back to the dealer garage. They have no clue, but it probably wasn't my $458 module.

I found a posting in this forum from 2011 about the same problem, but there wasn't a resolution in the thread.

Does anyone here have a clue what might be causing this, and if it's cure-able? I love this car and don't want to ditch it for poltergeist activity!

thanks, *sharon*

Last edited by SharonP; 15 Aug 2013 at 03:27 pm. Reason: punc.tu!ation.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lock chatter, honking, battery drain... advice?

I would think it might be the pcm. At any rate the need to put you module back. You don't need a $ 400 oops. How old is the battery.?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Aug 2013, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Battery was replaced in 2010 and is still under AAA warranty - they wouldn't replace it, said there wasn't anything wrong with it.

thanks!
Old 15 Aug 2013, 04:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The pcm you can order on line. The automatic can sometimes be found for $149. No more than $169 free shipping both ways programed to your vin. Plug and play. Auto computer exchange is who I used. Yours is located under the headlight drivers side. On the frame rail. The finder liner would need removed.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Aug 2013, 06:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Lock chatter, honking, battery drain... advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
minus $458
My God,That's highway robbery!
Old 16 Aug 2013, 02:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The pcm you can order on line. The automatic can sometimes be found for $149. No more than $169 free shipping both ways programed to your vin. Plug and play. Auto computer exchange is who I used. Yours is located under the headlight drivers side. On the frame rail. The finder liner would need removed.
Hey Busted,

I do not see any connection between the alarm and the PCM. The Sentry Key does input to the PCM, but not the alarm.

Hi SharonP.

It would seem the dealer replaced the most obvious part, needed or not. I would return it and have the original re-installed.

All this still leaves you with the problem, however I do have a suggestion. I believe that you may have a broken or chafed wire in the conduit leading from the body to the door, possibly several. When they touch just right, you have your problem, when they don't, no problem. This can change everytime you close the door; like at the repair shop after the repair.

The good news if I'm right it can only be the driver's door. The alarm disarm switch is only in that door and is routed through the conduit right along with the power door lock wiring.

I would start there to look for the cause of the problem. Right after I got a refund for the un-needed repair.

Hope this helps!

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 16 Aug 2013, 06:51 am
Banned

Hi "Sharon" welcome

I am glad you love your pt, where have you been?

Maybe you can stick around after your pt gets fixed.

We are not brick walls, We get our feelings hurt if you only come here when there is an issue with your pt.

Come join our community

Maybe one day you will be able to help someone in need, so that one thread with similar symptoms won't go by unanswered

Thanks "Sharon"

QUOTE=SharonP;488244]Hi, guys - hope someone here can help.!

My 2001 PT (69,000 miles) horn alarm has been going off randomly and frequently, the locks jiggle when accelerating and the battery has died twice this last week.

AAA did diagnostics and said the battery was good, and when it died the 3rd time it went to the Chrysler Dealer.

They had it 7 days, did diagnostics with Chrysler Central, eventually replaced the RKE module - apparently the interface between electronics in the key and the electronics in the car? and I got it back (minus $458) last night.

Driving away from the dealership the locks were chattering again and I brought it back to the garage. We did 2 test drives, no lock action dammit, and they sent it home with me.

Today the horn alarm went off twice and the locks went berserk and I brought it back to the dealer garage. They have no clue, but it probably wasn't my $458 module.

I found a posting in this forum from 2011 about the same problem, but there wasn't a resolution in the thread.

Does anyone here have a clue what might be causing this, and if it's cure-able? I love this car and don't want to ditch it for poltergeist activity!

thanks, *sharon*[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 16 Aug 2013 at 06:55 am.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 06:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
Hey Busted,

I do not see any connection between the alarm and the PCM. The Sentry Key does input to the PCM, but not the alarm.

Hi SharonP.

It would seem the dealer replaced the most obvious part, needed or not. I would return it and have the original re-installed.

All this still leaves you with the problem, however I do have a suggestion. I believe that you may have a broken or chafed wire in the conduit leading from the body to the door, possibly several. When they touch just right, you have your problem, when they don't, no problem. This can change everytime you close the door; like at the repair shop after the repair.

The good news if I'm right it can only be the driver's door. The alarm disarm switch is only in that door and is routed through the conduit right along with the power door lock wiring.

I would start there to look for the cause of the problem. Right after I got a refund for the un-needed repair.

Hope this helps!

Ron
Well SharonP, I would go with Badglas's suggestion first. His electrical trouble shooting skills out way me by far. An easy way to tell would be to disable that door by unplugging the door's cable. This is easier than you may think. Grab the lower dash cover under the steering column at the top and pull out and down. Will lower on a built in hinge. Remove the two screws in the lower left dash corner and pull towards the rear of the car. You will see a large connector clipped to the metal braces. This the connector for the door. just unplug and drive. This will tell you if that is your problem. Good call Ron.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Aug 2013, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Badglas & Busted-PT, thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

When the RKE thing didn't work I brought the PT back to the garage (that was the 15th). I was traveling last week when they called me on Wed, said it was fixed. They replaced the two back door switches and the switch on the lift gate, drove it Thurs & Friday without problem, and I picked it up yesterday morning when I got home (another $450).

Yesterday afternoon, again the honking and lock jittering, and back to the dealer.

They speculated that maybe there was a problem with the battery that was affecting the electronics, and installed a new one gratis. The guys at the garage are going nuts with this - it's not like they're not trying.

It ran nicely without symptoms last night and this morning, and then the horn and locks went off again. Insert colorful descriptive language here.

So my PT has 4 new pieces of equipment, a new battery and no fix. I'm reaching an emotional state that can best be described as 'shitbug nuts'.

It's going back to them tomorrow, and I'll print off this thread (with pictures, thank you!) and make sure they pay attention to it.

I really appreciate the help and direction you've given. If this mess is ever resolved I'll post the info here so others can benefit, and maybe it'll get into the Chrysler 'HowTheHellCanWeFixThis' database.

I don't know much about car mechanics, and don't have any family/friends who do either, so I pretty much depend on the local service station garage and the dealer garage. It's good to have a resource like you guys, thanks!

And Busa_Powered, thanks for the welcome!
Old 25 Aug 2013, 09:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Lock chatter, honking, battery drain... advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
They speculated that maybe there was a problem with the battery that was affecting the electronics, and installed a new one gratis. The guys at the garage are going nuts with this - it's not like they're not trying.
So,they've thrown everything but the kitchensink at it,charged you almost $1,000 for parts & labor,that didn't fix the original problem.....So,they give you a FREE battery?.......I haven't heard anything about even checking for a bad ground wire/cable???(Like the negative battery cable,maybe?)......Maybe they did,and it just hasn't been mentioned yet....I guess I'm just old-fashioned in thinking: "Start simple,and work your way up."