Advertisements
Transmission Control Solenoid

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2013, 09:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Control Solenoid

Hey all. I have an 05 PT Touring that I'll be replacing the Transmission Control Solenoid on this the weekend. My question is regarding installation of the new unit and the new gasket. I've seen conflicting comments about whether or not to use gasket sealant on the new gasket when I install it.

Any help and/or advice on this would really help ease my concerns. I've worked on cars all my life, but I've never replaced this particular part and am a little nervous about it. I don't want to jack things up by doing the wrong thing.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 16 Aug 2013, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Control Solenoid

Factory has no sealant, and if you do choose to use sealant it is not going to harm anything.

I personally choose and recommend Permatex Ultra Blue RTV.
It is oil resistance, hi-temp rated and sensor-safe.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 05:16 am
Senior Cruiser

ad; Like nitro said, do as the factory does. No sealant. RTV and teflon tape are not recommended for hydraulic systems.

Remove anything that's in the way [air box etc.]. Clean old solenoid and connector and surrounding area BEFORE grabbing a wrench. Like immaculate. Remove connector and solenoid. Put solenoid in a clean container. Remove any remaining gasket from the tranny. Careful, as some passages go into the heart of the trans. Clean bolts, oil lightly, assemble. Torque bolts down in stages to squash gasket evenly.

Invert old solenoid and inspect for foreign material in the mini-screens. Report back.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input. Got the new solenoid in. Haven't had a chance to inspect the old one, so i'll get back to y'all on that.

Still having the same issues before replacing the solenoid. Getting VERY frustrated and feel I'm throwing good money after bad.

Here is my issue: from a cold start trans in limp mode with error codes P0700, p1603 and occasionally U0101. However, if I drive it till it warms up and then let it sit for about 20 minutes or so, it shifts fine. WTF

When it first started doing this many months ago I figured it was the speed sensors, so I replaced both. No help. While I was at it, I flushed the system and put in new fluid and filter. No help.

I figured I was down to the control solenoid or the car's PCM. I opted for the control solenoid. Which, as I just stated, hasn't fixed the problem. Error code is U0101. So does this mean the PCM is bad and I have to replace that now???

Really would appreciate so help here. I'm at my wit's end and felling very frustrated.