PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Issue Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2013, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Issue Question

Hey there,

My wife was driving down the interstate and all of a sudden, it felt like she was hit hard from behind. No one was there and she was driving about 65 mph. After that the transmission didn't engage well and the RPMs went up to around 3k. She staggered into a parking lot. I made it over there and checked everything I'm capable of and noticed the transmission fluid looked great, the engine ran great, there were not leaks, and no engine light. However, I put it into reverse and it did nothing. I pushed it back and tried to drive forward. It worked for about 50 feet then nothing.

Any suggestions or similar issues out there? It's odd that the engine light never came on and this happened so violently.

The first shop says it needs a new transmission.

Please let me know if you have experienced this and what the issue was.

Thanks!
Old 16 Aug 2013, 01:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Transmission Issue Question

Have you checked for any error codes.....
Old 16 Aug 2013, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Issue Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysaal View Post
Hey there,

My wife was driving down the interstate and all of a sudden, it felt like she was hit hard from behind. No one was there and she was driving about 65 mph. After that the transmission didn't engage well and the RPMs went up to around 3k. She staggered into a parking lot. I made it over there and checked everything I'm capable of and noticed the transmission fluid looked great, the engine ran great, there were not leaks, and no engine light. However, I put it into reverse and it did nothing. I pushed it back and tried to drive forward. It worked for about 50 feet then nothing.

Any suggestions or similar issues out there? It's odd that the engine light never came on and this happened so violently.

The first shop says it needs a new transmission.

Please let me know if you have experienced this and what the issue was.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Have you checked for any error codes.....
How many miles do you have / Have you ever serviced the trans ( fluid and filter change)?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Aug 2013, 08:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Transmission Issue Question

I know...I just thought I'd check;You'd think with all that going on there might be a code,even without CEL.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 09:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Issue Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
How many miles do you have / Have you ever serviced the trans ( fluid and filter change)?
Just hit 100,000 miles. ATF+4 fluid and filter changed 25,000 miles ago as well as 25,000 before that change.

No error codes.

This ran perfect until now.

Any suggestions? I really do not want to change or rebuild the transmission, but I cannot understand why we never received any warning or indication of an issues afterwards.

Thanks!