Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission NO GO 2002 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2013, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission NO GO 2002 PT Cruiser

The car has an automatic trans and about 107K miles and has been maintained religiously. The problem started while driving 70MPH on the highway. There was an abrupt pause in the forward motion, lasting about 1/10 of a second. The speed slowed only slightly and resumed (using cruise control). I kept driving as normal (60 mi. to work with 45 remaining) The transmission operated normally as far as upshift and downshift. After arriving at work, I found that I had no reverse, so I drove forward into a parking spot. I had a truck and car trailer delivered later to tow it home and found that I had no forward gears. The front wheels were also locked, in forward, reverse, and neutral while the car was running. After shutting the car off and letting it sit for 20 min. (pondering what to do...), I rocked the car and found that it rolled in neutral. Loaded it and towed home.
Codes PO700, PO715, and PO720 have been set. The fluid has been drained (long-time Amsoil user), all was crystal clear and absolutely NO debris or discoloration. I removed the final drive cover and all looks good as far as the differential operation, gears, and bearings.
I would think this would be a hard-part failure, but have more experience with non-elec. RWD transmissions. I am rather savvy and have my own shop with lift and normal equipment.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 01:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Transmission NO GO 2002 PT Cruiser

Since you have access,and have been able to take a look at the planetary gears & clutches;Have you also taken a look at the torque converter.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission NO GO 2002 PT Cruiser

I haven't finished pulling it yet, but I will. I am really curious to know if anyone has had a similar experience. I too am suspicious of the converter. If I get a confirmation of any failure, I will post it. Then the issue will be to rebuild or replace(?).
Old 17 Aug 2013, 03:35 am
Senior Cruiser

nik; those codes show a problem with the input and output speed sensor circuit. Wiring? Connectors? Trans control module? Solenoid pack? Slipping clutches?

Welcome to the new [and improved?] technology!!!!
Old 17 Aug 2013, 08:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Solenoid pack or transmission control module. My '04 Cruiser did the same thing when the tranny portion of the PCM went crazy. It acted like a transbrake.

Last edited by dodgeboy69; 17 Aug 2013 at 08:21 pm.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy69 View Post
Solenoid pack or transmission control module. My '04 Cruiser did the same thing when the tranny portion of the PCM went crazy. It acted like a transbrake.
Thanks for the thought. So what was the repair on yours? I just finished pulling the trans last night, and am going to check the internal components, now that I noticed the magnet in the pan looks like it has a spikey hairdo. I am wondering if there are specific parts that are a good idea to inspect and/or replace while the trans is out.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine had the hairy magnet also. I suspect hairy magnet is the result planetary wear. Look at the snap rings for the clutch packs. They do fail. Also the usual wear in the clutch packs, thrust washers and bushings are another point. It would not hurt to put a Transgo "shift improver" kit in it since it is a pre "04 tranny. Also look at the roller bearings and races for signs of wear. Other than that, just do the usual rebuild.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Transmission NO GO 2002 PT Cruiser

Mine did pretty much the exact same thing!! And it was weird because if it was in Neutral but with the engine running, you couldn't budge the car!!!! But if you turned the car off and put it in neutral then it was fine. I had to have the transmission rebuilt in mine. I think it was like $1,800.00 But it is working fine now!
Old 19 Aug 2013, 02:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Nik; I would flush out the tranny cooler [20 psi max.]. Check the external splines on the clutch drums so the clutch plates don't hang. The chrysler kit is a good one [online save $$]. Clean the screen in the valve body. Replace cooler bypass valve. REPLACE the torque converter with a rebuilt. Chrysler's is a good one. Use atf+4 only. A reuseable pan gasket plate is available.

Mine had different symptoms than yours. A clicking noise coming from the tranny 'bell housing' area for thousands of miles. [not the flex plate]. Then no drive in any gear. boy69 has a solenoid/tcm story that sounds similar to yours. Good luck
Old 19 Aug 2013, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just put the transmission on the bench this AM. I ordered an ATSG manual last night, and I already have the factory service manuals. I am looking at Makco rebuild kits, or Chrysler kits. I am usually the "overkill" type that intends to build for longevity and durability. Any thoughts here?
While waiting for the manual, I am researching what specialty tools are recommended, and which can be home fabricated. I am interested in any feedback in this area. I have a fairly decently equipped facility, and can fabricate or machine a variety of tools.
Thanks for the input so far.
(...Judging by the cost of rebuilt units out there, it seems like a person with rebuilding experience and a little common-sense could do quite well in this area.)