PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
check engine light on, car wont shift out of second gear.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 392SRT8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2013, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default check engine light on, car wont shift out of second gear.

Hello everyone

I have a 2006 with 117k miles. I recently took the car to the dealer and had a diagnosti. The ac wasnt working the car would shake when i cut it on. The check engine light would come on periodically stay on for no longer than a day, during the time its on the car doesnt shift out off second gear. I had assembly fan replaced, timing belt, tipm, brakes, tune up and the problem was suppose to be fix. Well the check engine light has come on again with the same problem. Any suggestion on what the problem might be or what i should do now. I dont know i have already spent so much money wish i would have just got a new car but i trusted the dealer
Old 17 Aug 2013, 11:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: check engine light on, car wont shift out of second gear.

Without know what codes are set from the CEL (check engine light), anything else is just a guess.

You can read the codes yourself by doing a process affectionately called the "key dance".
Do this by placing your key in the vehicle and moving it to the ACC position, then within 5 seconds, move the key through the following sequence: RUN-ACC-RUN-ACC-RUN. At this point you can watch your mileage display and any set codes will cycle through on there. When the codes are finished, the display will show "done".
Old 17 Aug 2013, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392SRT8 View Post
Without know what codes are set from the CEL (check engine light), anything else is just a guess.

You can read the codes yourself by doing a process affectionately called the "key dance".
Do this by placing your key in the vehicle and moving it to the ACC position, then within 5 seconds, move the key through the following sequence: RUN-ACC-RUN-ACC-RUN. At this point you can watch your mileage display and any set codes will cycle through on there. When the codes are finished, the display will show "done".
What he said ^^^^^

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Aug 2013, 04:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: check engine light on, car wont shift out of second gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam View Post
during the time its on the car doesnt shift out off second gear.
Chris,that's referred to as "Limp Mode"(or Limp-in Mode)....This occurs when the transmission control module recieves a coded fault number from the PCM that says there's something wrong and puts it into limp mode,that is normal behavior.
The limp mode is accomplished by essentially turning off the electrical relay that operates the transmissions electrical parts and its purpose is to avoid any unnecessary damage should the transmission be allowed to continue to operate until checked/serviced.
So what you need to know is what is the fault code number....
Post the 4-digit code number(s) that you find and we can then discuss what it means.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay i followed the instructionsto display the code but it shows nothing. Just 6 dash lines ( ------) and after a few seconds (- done-)
Old 18 Aug 2013, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Went to auto zone n the code is p0882
Old 18 Aug 2013, 11:05 am
Regular Cruiser

P0882 = TCM POWER INPUT LOW

Check out this thread relating to it:
P0882 Low input signal
zamfir2 likes this.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This may sound funny, check your ball joints,wheel bearings etc...this may be trowing your transmission sensor off and putting into limp mode.