Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Transmission Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2013, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Transmission Issues

OK. I'm at wit's end here. About a 6 months ago, my wife's PT would run and shift great from a cold start. But, if you stopped off at Walmart for a quick second to grab a gallon of milk, the car would go into limp mode. HOwever, if you stopped again and waited about 20 minutes it would work just fine again.

I figured it had to be a sensor issue of some kind, so I replaced both speed sensors, and replaced the filter and fluid. Didn't help. Error codes were still P0700, P1603, and occassionally it would also give a U0101 code. As we live in a rural town, and it isn't more than a couple of miles to get anywhere, my wife still drives the car, often times in limp mode (never more than 30 mph).

After researching for a while and waiting till I had time and $$ to get back into it, I figured it could be either the transmission control solenoid or the PCM. I opted to replace the control solenoid. Still has not fixed the problem. Error code after test drive was U0101 - which I believe is a communication problem between the solenoid, speed sensor and PCM.

So, do I have a bad PCM, or could it be something in the wiring harness or the connectors to the Tran Contrl Solenoid and the PCM? I fear I am throwing good money after bad and could really use some help getting this bugger solved.

Thanks for your help.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 10:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Transmission Issues

From what I can find, U0101 is loss of communications to the TCM (Trans Control Module), not the solenoid or PCM.

If you decide to replace that, the Haynes manual says: Do NOT interchange TCM's from different year vehicles.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Transmission Issues

My 04 Cruiser had problems with bogus engine codes. I replaced the PCM with a rebuilt unit. Two weeks later, the tranny had shift problems and was in limp mode quite a bit. I changed the solenoid pack (new Mopar unit), changed fluid and filter and nothing helped. I did a continuity wire check from the PCM to the solenoid pack and all wiring was fine. Then I changed the PCM (returned first unit to rebuilder) after they sent a replacement PCM. I installed the replacement PCM and tranny has been fine ever since. I wasted money on solenoid pack since "logic" said it was not the "rebuilt" PCM. The old solenoid pack was two years old.

Do a continuity check on the eight wires to solenoid pack. Do not forget to check the grounds in the engine compartment. If they check out, It is most likely the PCM

Tags
pcm, solenoid, tcm, transmission