• 1 Post By randyincctx
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 2 Post By cruserdad1976
  • 2 Post By ronpolley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2013, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Please Help!! Timing belt replaced and having engine problems

I just replaced the timing belt on my 2003 PT cruiser because it was almost 70000 miles past due. I get it all together fine and it sounded fine so I put it all together and after driving it for about 30 miles or so it started to make an engine noise almost like a Subaru motor would. If I pin the throttle the motor wont rev over 3500 rpm and it acts like it has a rev limiter. I am almost 100% positive the timing marks are on the right spot and I had no parts left over after completing it. It does not through any codes like the poo16 code Ive read up on and i am stumped. What am I missing here?
Old 18 Aug 2013, 10:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Please Help!! Timing belt replaced and having engine problems

Your 100% absolutely sure everything was lined up just like these photos?.....Not even 1 tooth/notch off,and trailing edge was set right on crank shaft mark?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
For more info look here. About page 9 or 10. Busted_PT project 1

Timing Marks as they should look. I suggest to take pictures of yours before you put it back to show and verify their position if you run into problems later. Then you can refer back to these if a questions arise.

Busted_PT likes this.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please Help!! Timing belt replaced and having engine problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylines69 View Post
I just replaced the timing belt on my 2003 PT cruiser because it was almost 70000 miles past due. I get it all together fine and it sounded fine so I put it all together and after driving it for about 30 miles or so it started to make an engine noise almost like a Subaru motor would. If I pin the throttle the motor wont rev over 3500 rpm and it acts like it has a rev limiter. I am almost 100% positive the timing marks are on the right spot and I had no parts left over after completing it. It does not through any codes like the poo16 code Ive read up on and i am stumped. What am I missing here?
This is why I have began to recommend that people take good detailed pics of the timing marks when they do the job so they can show everyone and most importantly themselves that it's right if you have post issues. Nothing to do but recheck all connections of vac hoses and such. if nothing is apparent pull top cover and #1 plug and check the timing. Most liky problem. Even the pros do it, so don't beat yourself up to bad.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2013, 09:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

sad as it may sound some how it is out iof time i have read that you need to turn the engin over several times and recheck the marks if its not right after it has to be related to the TB
Old 19 Aug 2013, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

There is a rev limiter if you are flooring the throttle when not moving. It's around 3,500 rpm.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 06:07 pm
Young Cruiser

If in doubt, you can pull off the upper cover and do the TDC through #1 sparkplug.

Or you can do a bit more work and pull the Balancer again, 3 of the 4 screws on the bottom cover and peek the cam position as well.

In the worst case you are 1/4 to droping the engine and redoing the belt, best case you slap it back together and search somewhere else for the issue.

Edit: does it idle properly? If not, your timing is off.

One day I WILL make my PT behave!
Old 19 Aug 2013, 06:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Please Help!! Timing belt replaced and having engine problems

Those are all VERY good reasons why anyone who's recently been fixin to do a TB job,has been advised to check 3 times,assemble once.........I know that's not exactly your case,but same thing;While your having to do all that b/s,make triple sure,before you start buttoning her back up.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the timing belt is a real PIA,Another way to check your timing is to bring #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke exactly,then remove the valve cover.The cams have a hole drilled in each one,those holes will be strait up from the head surfaces,yep 90 degrees.If your off its real obvious.
Just from a word of timing belt replacement experience,the grill,bumper and radiator are in your way.I removed mine and had easy access to everything in there.
Some may say that's the hard way,to me its the easy way.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 08:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Please Help!! Timing belt replaced and having engine problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpolley View Post
Another way to check your timing is to bring #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke exactly,then remove the valve cover.
The old way I learned is,remove #1 spark plug,and insert a dowel(or rod)and rotate until it's at it's apex...You'll have TDC everytime.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The TDC method is the best if everything is already back together. Just remember that there are 2 times the Number 1 cylinder will hit top dead center. During compression, and during the exhaust stroke. The easy way to tell is if the timing marks are on opposite sides (-00-) , then keep rotating the engine till you hit TDC again and the you will have (0--0). Any thing can be used like a dowel or even plastic straws as long as the length is enough to stick above the valve cover. Just nothing that might scratch the top of the piston.