Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating?! Heeellllp!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2013, 08:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Overheating?! Heeellllp!

Hey all! I have an '06 PT with some big (or so I think) problems! A couple of weeks ago, I was driving a long distance and when I went up a large hill I could smell something burning..but it didn't happen again after that. Yesterday, I went up another large hill and by the time I reached the top the temp light was on, it was steaming/smoking, and boiling noises. Someone came along to help me out and it was pretty much out of coolant. I'm going to fill it with coolant in the morning, but I'm wondering if it could be the fan? I just had a new rad put in 6 months ago, so I'm praying that's not the issue again. Any ideas, or advice on how to find out on my own what the problem might be?! Thanks in advance!
Old 20 Aug 2013, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating?! Heeellllp!

Check the thermostat. It could be stuck closed.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most likely you have a leak or the fan is no running. Hopefully you didn't kill it by getting it this hot.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Aug 2013, 02:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Kit; When you check the coolant in the morning, check the level at the RADIATOR cap. [also check the cap's rubber seals] If not full, then add 50/50 mix [same color]. Then check the level in the reservoir. Add 50/50 mix to the 'cold line'. Then check the reservoir level every morning for a week or until the level stabilizes.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowrider View Post
Check the thermostat. It could be stuck closed.
How do I do that??
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Kit; When you check the coolant in the morning, check the level at the RADIATOR cap. [also check the cap's rubber seals] If not full, then add 50/50 mix [same color]. Then check the level in the reservoir. Add 50/50 mix to the 'cold line'. Then check the reservoir level every morning for a week or until the level stabilizes.
I've been doing this since the problem, but it still overheats from time to time. (Not as severe as the first time). Could it be that the coolant isn't flowing properly? I noticed yesterday when I checked it that the reservoir was filled to the hot line, but there was barely anything under the cap..
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Most likely you have a leak or the fan is no running. Hopefully you didn't kill it by getting it this hot.
So far, it's not dead!! I'm trying to get by with it until I can fix it, life as a single Muma waiting for OSAP to come in!
On that note..I've had nothing but problems with this car since I got it four years ago. I paid $10,000 for it and have put at-least $11,000 back into repairs..fun times!
Old 28 Aug 2013, 01:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Kit; the coolant level at the radiator cap must be within 1" of the top. Fill to the top before driving! The reservoir tank [expansion tank] should be about 1/3 full when cold and rise when the engine gets hot. Then goes back to 1/3 full when the engine cools. This is normal.

Check the hose from the rad cap to the reservoir tank. No cracks and tight on both ends. I would replace the radiator cap too.

Bleeding the system might be necessary if the coolant is really low.

good luck