Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 Pt Cruiser with the ignition switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2013, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile 2008 Pt Cruiser with the ignition switch

Today I was told my ignition switch needs to be replaced. The dealership wants to charge us a grand and we don't have it right now. I was looking into some ignition switches and I see that the job is fairly easy. If I replace the ignition switch will I need a new reprogrammed key?

Last edited by Savemoneyandmakemoney2013; 20 Aug 2013 at 09:50 pm.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 10:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Pt Cruiser with the ignition switch

Can you give more background on what the problem is that you are having? I ask because the ignition switch is actually two pieces. The electronics can be separated from the keyed tumbler. If it is strictly an electronic issue, then you can retain your keys. If they need to install a complete assembly, you'll likely need new keys. Dealers don't generally re-key tumblers, so they take the easy way out. A competent locksmith can do the re-key on the new module so that you can retain your keys. If new electronics are installed, then the SKIM module needs to be reprogrammed to the vehicle. Dealers can do this, but so can a few locksmiths (but not many).

Where are you located?
Old 20 Aug 2013, 10:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Pt Cruiser with the ignition switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savemoneyandmakemoney2013 View Post
Today I was told my ignition switch needs to be replaced. The dealership wants to charge us a grand and we don't have it right now. I was looking into some ignition switches and I see that the job is fairly easy. If I replace the ignition switch will I need a new reprogrammed key?
It depend whether you need the barrel for the key or the electrical part behind that. Describe the issues that you have.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Aug 2013, 10:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: 2008 Pt Cruiser with the ignition switch

If it's just the ignition cylinder,you CAN change the tumblers,and use your ORIGINAL key(s).......You WON'T need to get NEW keys,or have your SKIM or PCM reprogrammed.

Old 20 Aug 2013, 11:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: 2008 Pt Cruiser with the ignition switch

If it's the ignition switch,or the actuator pin....You can do that yourself also.HowToRepairGuide.com: How to replace Ignition switch on dodge caravan? (Says for Dodge,but it is virtually identical to PT Cruiser)