Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cleaned my Idle Air Controller Now Car Overheats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2013, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cleaned my Idle Air Controller Now Car Overheats

Cleaned my Idle Air Controller today, Put everything back together ran the car for a while and it started to overheat noticed that Radiator Fan is not working. I did disconnect the negative battery cable. I did notice a little spark when I put together back on. Ran out of the time. Any ideas what I should check or what happened.

The reason for the cleaning was rough idle.

2002 PT cruiser
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cleaned my Idle Air Controller Now Car Overheats

Should have nothing to do with cleaning the IAC but just might have blown a fuse for the radiator fan unless it's a heck of coincidence that the fan motor burned out at the same time you were working on it.

The Number #5 fuse (40 Amp green) in the PDC (under the hood) is for the fan, check that first. If it's good, then you'll have to dig deeper into the fan connections, relays and PCM. Easiest way to check the whole fan system is to hook it up t a scanner. it can turn the low and high speed fan on and off so everything is checked at once .
Old 22 Aug 2013, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply funny thing I went out this morning plug the connector to power the fan, was going to run with the AC to see if the fan motor started. The car ran for a while fan started everything seems OK over heating wise.

Now for the original problem, car started to Idle Rough check engine light code was p0172 a guy tested the sensors and everything that was suggested fuel pressure, voltage, everything list suggested. He said I should take it to a dealer and get a better diagnostic. As a last ditch cleaned Idle Air Controller. Tested car today if I'm going anything over 15mph go to stop the car stalls. If I go slow and stop it will not stall.

I still get p0172 code the car is 2002 with 124000 I don't have a lot of money to throw at it any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 22 Aug 2013, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With that kind of mileage, got to ask, has the timing belt been changed. If not, it could be stretched, ready to break, and the timing would be off giving you the rough idle and stalling.

Other than that, there could be carbon build-up in the throttle body and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) might be malfunctioning. Can't clean that one.