Advertisements
5 speed stick shift is loose

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2013, 07:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 5 speed stick shift is loose

I just bought a 2006 PT Cruiser for my mom. When driving it to her house, the gear shift all of a sudden became completely loose. You could move it all around very easily. Can not change gears even though I was still in 3rd gear and was able to get it back home. Any help would be appreciated. I'm just glad it happened while I was driving it and not my mom.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 5 speed stick shift is loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyc View Post
I just bought a 2006 PT Cruiser for my mom. When driving it to her house, the gear shift all of a sudden became completely loose. You could move it all around very easily. Can not change gears even though I was still in 3rd gear and was able to get it back home. Any help would be appreciated. I'm just glad it happened while I was driving it and not my mom.
Check cable ends the bushings go out sometimes. New bushings will fix. Cable may have come off completely.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much! Can I get these bushings at a local auto store or is something I have to get from Chrysler?
Old 22 Aug 2013, 11:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyc View Post
Thank you so much! Can I get these bushings at a local auto store or is something I have to get from Chrysler?
There are some aftermarket bushings that are really durable made by "Booger Bushings". (Search 'em) They are sold by the maker and a few on-line sites for about $20/$30. Don't bother with the dealer parts because they probably only sell the entire shifter w/cables, etc. for hundreds of dollars.

I have a set of the stock bushings left over from when I upgraded that I can give you. If you want to do that, send me a private message with your address and I'll drop 'em in the mail.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks that is awesome of you. I sent a message, hopefully I did it right. I'm new to the site and learning my way around. thanks again..