PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'00 engine swap - opportunity?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2013, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default '00 engine swap - opportunity?

Have an '06 that lost it's timing belt, and appears to have experienced some valve interference. Probably going to find a donor-car, swap over the engine/trans, then part out the donor vehicle and dead engine. Searched the forum, didn't find anything for this specific year. Question is... which years will direct swap with the '06? Just the '06, or any more later or earlier years?

Also, see that the turbo/manual appears to have started in '03. Given a running donor-car with all parts (engine, trans, shafts, cluster, ecu, etc), will everything swap over, specifically are all the mounting points there and compatible (intercooler, etc).

Welcoming any ideas (except swapping to an auto!), yet guess if all else fails, will wait out for an '06 manual donor. Thoughts?

Last edited by sbagdon; 22 Aug 2013 at 12:23 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: '00 engine swap - opportunity?

You're replacing the engine for a broke timing belt????
Even if valves were bent ( and they're not ) they're only a few bucks each.

Sorry to be so cranky but just willy-nilly throwing good engines around strikes me as silly.
zamfir2 likes this.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
You're replacing the engine for a broke timing belt????
Even if valves were bent ( and they're not ) they're only a few bucks each.

Sorry to be so cranky but just willy-nilly throwing good engines around strikes me as silly.
I'm reading that there's inteference between the valves when the timing belt breaks at speed (valves won't touch pistons, yet valves will touch valves). If the valves are bent, then the top-end has to come of, and I've had 0% luck after having a long-block split. Sure, valves are cheap, yet why split an engine when not necessary.

Figure if they keep the vehicle long-term, getting a 1:1 donor-car makes sense. Swap the engine over, do some mx while it's out (seals, belts, etc), sell off all the extras, keep some of the good stuff, etc.

Question still stands... for an '06, what's the year-range that will do a 1:1 swap?
Old 23 Aug 2013, 04:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

change the belt and leave the head on. no need to split the block and head apart. it's reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllyy rare that the valves hit. i've only read of it happening on here once, maybe.

i know i didnt answer your question. i don't know the answer to it.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm with the others. What do you mean "appears to have experienced some valve interference? I may be wrong but think you have to have the belt back on and running for a compression check to say weather you need a valve or two.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well with all that said here is you answer

the 01-02 and 03 I belives are in some way diffrent however as far as I knwo from 04-10 they are the same Im sure that fromm 06-10 they are I am with everyone else the amount of work involved is A LOT

Didnt see how many miles but relaly hard to bend valvues in a 2.4
Old 23 Aug 2013, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your not a turbo then no you can't just drop one in and make a turbo out if it . I am with the others. Fix yours.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Aug 2013, 06:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
well with all that said here is you answer

the 01-02 and 03 I belives are in some way diffrent however as far as I knwo from 04-10 they are the same Im sure that fromm 06-10 they are I am with everyone else the amount of work involved is A LOT

Didnt see how many miles but relaly hard to bend valvues in a 2.4
Work is relative. Last weekend, we parted a minivan. Ok, we're doing the doors this weekend, yet it was whole on Sat, and the shell was towed away on Mon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If your not a turbo then no you can't just drop one in and make a turbo out if it . I am with the others. Fix yours.
I've done a few '85 MR2 SC swaps, so I'm familiar with what's required to swap over entire assemblies. Question still stands... what has to swap over, and what mounting locations are missing in the NA?

While writing this, I figured it would be worth the $32 to put in a timing belt to do a compression check, yet after looking up the steps, maybe replacing the engine would be less work. ; )
Old 24 Aug 2013, 09:48 am
Senior Cruiser

In '06 Chrysler began using CAN bus PCMs which means the earlier sensors and computers are very different from the '06 and newer.
CAN bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There were various on going changes from year to year but I will hazard a guess that there were not as many since '06 so if you find a newer engine, you should be safe. Worse case, you might have to make a minor change of some dinky part.
Old 24 Aug 2013, 09:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbagdon View Post
Work is relative. Last weekend, we parted a minivan. Ok, we're doing the doors this weekend, yet it was whole on Sat, and the shell was towed away on Mon.

I've done a few '85 MR2 SC swaps, so I'm familiar with what's required to swap over entire assemblies. Question still stands... what has to swap over, and what mounting locations are missing in the NA?

While writing this, I figured it would be worth the $32 to put in a timing belt to do a compression check, yet after looking up the steps, maybe replacing the engine would be less work. ; )
all the mounts are the same, the trans is different, the axles are different, engine internals are different, IDK about the wiring/ecu differences.