Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another Radiator Fan Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2013, 06:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Another Radiator Fan Question

Had my original one replaced under warranty around 47,000 miles by the dealer. Now a little over 3 years latter and another 47,000 miles plus or minus, it might be dying again.

When the car is moving, the AC works great and the engine runs perfect. When I'm waiting at a light for a while, the engine idle drops once here and once there. When it does this the AC starts blowing warm. It doesn't do this all the time. I can't really remember if it did the idle drop or just the blowing warm last time. Does this sound like the early signs of the fan?

Last night I tried listening for the fan while it was doing the idle drop, it didn't sound like the fan was on. It kind of sounded like the compressor would click, then the idle would do a quick drop. In the morning I drove to work, then popped the hood and it sounded like the fan was on with the AC and it wasn't doing the drop. Can it start out intermittently?

They have a fan locally, so if it sounds like it, I'd pick it up and change it over the weekend. Just would hate to change something that isn't broken.

You guys are the ones I trust, so I value your opinion.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 07:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another Radiator Fan Question

If you can hear the fan, it's the high speed because it's that loud. The only way to know if the low speed is working is to actually look down behind the radiator and even then it's not easy.

If your stopping at a light, hear the click of the compressor coming on and feel the A/C start to go warm, then it probably is the low speed that's not working.

You can do some testing since you said you changed the first fan yourself. Get under the car and disconnect the pig tail electrical connection to the fan motor. Find some wire (2 long lengths) and connect one to ground, the other to a positive terminal. The end of the pig tail from the fan motor has three prongs. The middle is ground, other prongs are (green) low speed, (Yellow) high speed. Touch your ground wire to the middle prong and the positive wire to either side prong. One will turn on the low fan, the other high.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 08:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If brushes is wearing out then yes it can be intermittent.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Aug 2013, 09:07 am
Cool Cruiser

CREWZIN - The dealer did the 1st fan, but I should be able to get under and test it. Just was curious if it could work sometimes and not others, as Busted_PT confirmed.

If it's working intermittently, wouldn't the fan possibly come on during the test?
Old 23 Aug 2013, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the brushes are contacting at the time of the test it would test good. Just turn the AC on and see if you see it run and if it stops during use.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Picked up the Dorman Fan and popped it in. Not a bad job. Now it definitely turns on whenever the AC is turned on. Was turning off shortly after the AC was turned off. Think this was the issue. As always, thanks guys.