PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 PT Cruiser sounds like a helicopter

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2013, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 PT Cruiser sounds like a helicopter

Hi everyone! Im new here so forgive me if this has already been asked....

I have a 2008 PT Cruiser with 112,000 miles on it. Last week my car started making this noise when its at a stop light. It sounds almost like a helicopter. I only hear this noise within the first 10 minutes of driving the car after its been turned off for a few hours (mostly overnight and the 8 hours im at work). It doesnt happen everyday either. I took it to my mechanic yesterday and he was just as confused as me. The car made the sound on the way to the mechanic but once i got a block away it stopped... go figure! I have no idea what is going on and it worries me... I just dont want Petey to fall apart while im driving.

The best way to describe the sound is by this video....

Thanks for your help.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT Cruiser sounds like a helicopter

Sounds as though something got into the air vent since you had the camera inside the car and not by the engine. Was the interior fan ON at the time? Does it go slower or faster according to the speed of the interior fan? If you switch from A/C to heat, does it make a difference?
Old 23 Aug 2013, 08:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

The video isnt mine... it was the best I could find on youtube. To answer your question though, Ive tried turning the ac off and it still makes the noise. I dont hear the noise when driving, only when at a stop light. Like I said its only within the first 10 minutes of the car running after having been off for quite a few hours.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Isn't yours? You mean I'm trying to diagnose your noise with someone else's video?

Your gonna have to better than that. Is it an engine noise or interior? You didn't answer (if it's interior) if you had the interior fan on or off and if it changes with the speed of that fan.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 09:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

The sound in the video is the sound my car is making that is why I posted the video. It was the closet thing I could find to the sound that I am hearing. I dont know anything about cars except how to drive them. It sounds like its coming from the engine area. I dont believe I have the interior fan on, ive been driving with my windows down since I heard the noise.

Sorry I dont know much about cars, thats why I came here for help. No one else seems to know what it is.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 09:31 am
Banned

Lol not even your YouTube video?!?!?

Try contacting the guy that posted the YouTube video
rob342 likes this.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 04:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Lol not even your YouTube video?!?!?

Try contacting the guy that posted the YouTube video
that is a great ******* idea!

it looks like she took your advice and he didnt know.

see if the car stops making the noise when you put it in neutral. engine mounts are common and easy to change

Last edited by rob342; 23 Aug 2013 at 04:43 pm.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After work I was able to record the sound. It only lasted about 15 seconds and then stopped and didnt do it again the rest of the night. here is the link to it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...95109372633138

I will try putting it in neutral next time i hear it. thank you.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 2008 PT Cruiser sounds like a helicopter

Does it do this while standing still,or moving?....Can you tell which side of the car it's coming from?.....Did you have the timing belt changed @ 100,000 mile as recommended?......You metioned it started doing this AFTER you had the oil changed correct?......Have you checked the dipstick to see if they forgot to put oil back in?....These are all good questions,and any other info you can provide will help...Even if you think the info may not be significant.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It only does it when the car is idle. Usually right after I start the car after its been sitting over night or after an 8hour shift. It sounds like its coming from either the driver side or the middle... its kinda hard to tell. I have not had the timing belt changed yet. That was on the list for November. It actually started last week some time... so before I had an oil change.

As I said before the noise only happens within the first 10 minutes of turning the car on after its been sitting for a long period of time. When im just running errands through out the day its fine. And it only lasts for a few seconds at a time. Theres also some days when it doesnt do it at all. At first I thought it was only when i had my a/c on but i turned it off and it still does it.