PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mysterious Rattling Noise Gone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2013, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mysterious Rattling Noise Gone

This is perplexing me.
First the PT info. Its a 2004 GT Turbo model with about 120,000 miles.
The turbo was replaced under an extended warranty around the 60,000 mile marker. When it went it there was no warning or smoke, just no power.

Now fast forward to a few weeks ago. Had a service engine light and the code reader said bad plug wires or plugs. Replaced both, light still was there.

Then a slight random rattle noise started to be heard at idle and while driving but not bad. Then rattle noise got real bad. It would rattle at varying RPMs then at steady cruising speed it could be "feathered" till it was gone then would come back if RPMs or speed changed.

Found this video and this convinced me it was the flex plate.
pt cruiser flexplate - Bing Videos

Took it to a local transmission shop. He looked at it put it on a lift then determined it was turbo going bad, not the flex plate.

Wife drove it from his lot to work. I followed and could hear the noise before getting on the highway and then didn't. Exited off the highway to her work and while following along side her did not hear the noise.

She drove it home and there was no noise, no loss of power and no check engine light (which has been intermittent).

Planned on taking it to another shop on Monday and went out to listen, feel and drive it today. No noise, no loss of power, no check engine light.

Research online has lead me to 3 possibilities: Still considering a flex plate issue or loose associated bolt, something in the turbo that was loose or failing and one thing online was a catalytic converter.

She does have a serious oil leak at the oil sending unit which is getting fixed.

Beyond that I can't think anything else to detail for the opinions of experienced PT Cruiser owners on this forum.

I'm confused, but for now relieved. But according to Mr Murphy there is something more to this.

Any help, theories or direction is greatly appreciated.
Old 24 Aug 2013, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mysterious Rattling Noise Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
This is perplexing me.
First the PT info. Its a 2004 GT Turbo model with about 120,000 miles.
The turbo was replaced under an extended warranty around the 60,000 mile marker. When it went it there was no warning or smoke, just no power.

Now fast forward to a few weeks ago. Had a service engine light and the code reader said bad plug wires or plugs. Replaced both, light still was there.

Then a slight random rattle noise started to be heard at idle and while driving but not bad. Then rattle noise got real bad. It would rattle at varying RPMs then at steady cruising speed it could be "feathered" till it was gone then would come back if RPMs or speed changed.

Found this video and this convinced me it was the flex plate.
pt cruiser flexplate - Bing Videos

Took it to a local transmission shop. He looked at it put it on a lift then determined it was turbo going bad, not the flex plate.

Wife drove it from his lot to work. I followed and could hear the noise before getting on the highway and then didn't. Exited off the highway to her work and while following along side her did not hear the noise.

She drove it home and there was no noise, no loss of power and no check engine light (which has been intermittent).

Planned on taking it to another shop on Monday and went out to listen, feel and drive it today. No noise, no loss of power, no check engine light.

Research online has lead me to 3 possibilities: Still considering a flex plate issue or loose associated bolt, something in the turbo that was loose or failing and one thing online was a catalytic converter.

She does have a serious oil leak at the oil sending unit which is getting fixed.

Beyond that I can't think anything else to detail for the opinions of experienced PT Cruiser owners on this forum.

I'm confused, but for now relieved. But according to Mr Murphy there is something more to this.

Any help, theories or direction is greatly appreciated.
Easy enough to check your turbo condition. Remove the hose on the intake side of the turbo( the one from the air box) and try to move the shaft in and out and side to side. In and out should be none side to side you may feel a slight movement. any more than that it's time to rebuild.

The noise you heard could be exhaust or something. Most of the regular mechanics blame the turbo for a lot of things.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Aug 2013, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here you go?

By using the home made audio tech probe you can push the blunt handle on your ear and touch different are'a of the engine and transmission to narrow down where the noise is coming from.

A Philips driver piece of small diameter hose and bolt.
Old 24 Aug 2013, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys. Grabbing a tube now.
Ill post findings.
Old 24 Aug 2013, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Thanks guys. Grabbing a tube now.
Ill post findings.
You will love hearing the different sounds of an engine...it kinda "kool" for the first time!

Look forward to read what you find!
Old 24 Aug 2013, 05:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

made the screwdriver, tube thing and since the noise has dissipated I couldn't discover much.
Removed the hose on the intake side. No real shaft to grab onto to check in and out movement. There was some movement side to side.

Going to post a pic
Old 24 Aug 2013, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

I'm not too sure what I'm looking at. Is there supposed to be a shaft?
Does this look ok?
Old 24 Aug 2013, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

FYI the side to side movement on that impeller im guesstimating at almost 1/4".
Is there supposed to be a bearing there?

Had to button it up as I'm done for the evening but will dig more tomorrow with a test drive.

AND the check engine light has come back on
Old 24 Aug 2013, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OPS......sorry to say..... time for a Turbo rebuild!
Old 24 Aug 2013, 06:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
OPS......sorry to say..... time for a Turbo rebuild!
That much play means the impeller is damaged. A swap out would be the best option . That mechanic was on the money this time. You can get these for around $250 and up exchange.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com