Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Cruiser PCM Powertrain Control Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2013, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2004 PT Cruiser PCM Powertrain Control Mod

Checking if I've got accurate or bad info here. Indications & dealership confirmation points to a bad ECM/PCM Powertrain Control Module. This is about $600 new and because of supposedly vehicle-unique coding (programmed) like a circuit board, I can't just pull one from another scrapped PT Cruiser. Is this true? Is there not some way to get a second-hand, as in used thus cheaper PCM? If I did get one, am I at the mercy of a dealership because they are the only ones with the nifty know-how or technical program needed? The other last resort brain storm is to try pulling another PCM and see what happens. Anyone an experienced master tech who know a reasonable work around? Please refer up the line to any such expert - I would appreciate the assist.
FYI: Stalls, intermittent error codes, plus voltage irregularities all leading to PCM.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser PCM Powertrain Control Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellerfoamybang View Post
Checking if I've got accurate or bad info here. Indications & dealership confirmation points to a bad ECM/PCM Powertrain Control Module. This is about $600 new and because of supposedly vehicle-unique coding (programmed) like a circuit board, I can't just pull one from another scrapped PT Cruiser. Is this true? Is there not some way to get a second-hand, as in used thus cheaper PCM? If I did get one, am I at the mercy of a dealership because they are the only ones with the nifty know-how or technical program needed? The other last resort brain storm is to try pulling another PCM and see what happens. Anyone an experienced master tech who know a reasonable work around? Please refer up the line to any such expert - I would appreciate the assist.
FYI: Stalls, intermittent error codes, plus voltage irregularities all leading to PCM.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM. Why not introduce yourself and hang around for a while? We have a lot to offer and not just a quick fix and free advice?

You can get a recycle unit but may need to have it sent in with your VIN for the mobilizer and VIN coding. That runs around 100-150? Personally it is not worth the trouble and I would not do that for any customer. It is better to seek out tested rebuilt ones with a good warranty from reliable sellers such as on Ebay. Danny aka busted_pt has gotten one and it worked wonderfully for him. maybe he can post where he purchased his?
Many like this

Chrysler PT Cruiser Computer ECM PCM ECU Replacement | eBay

Chrysler PT Cruiser Engine Computer Module ECM PCM ECU "Plug Play" | eBay

2004 2005 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Computer PCM ECM ECU | eBay
Old 26 Aug 2013, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM. Why not introduce yourself and hang around for a while? We have a lot to offer and not just a quick fix and free advice?

You can get a recycle unit but may need to have it sent in with your VIN for the mobilizer and VIN coding. That runs around 100-150? Personally it is not worth the trouble and I would not do that for any customer. It is better to seek out tested rebuilt ones with a good warranty from reliable sellers such as on Ebay. Danny aka busted_pt has gotten one and it worked wonderfully for him. maybe he can post where he purchased his?
Many like this

Chrysler PT Cruiser Computer ECM PCM ECU Replacement | eBay

Chrysler PT Cruiser Engine Computer Module ECM PCM ECU "Plug Play" | eBay

2004 2005 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Computer PCM ECM ECU | eBay
Yes, Lynn the first link was the company I used. Free shipping both ways. May even get that $129 price if yours is an automatic. You will need to shop and compare with your model info. $169. Is the one I needed. Plug and play you can do it yourself. Just discount the battery first. Good job there NitroPT.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Aug 2013, 06:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Howdy Yeller....
The guys are giving you good advice and tips. There are companies on eBay (and others you can fine with a web search) that specialize in these PCMs. You need to contact one of them and they will tell you what info they need (vin number, mileage and so forth) so they can match it to your car. If you can change a battery then you have the skills to change the PCM. It's that simple. If you can't do then the kid down the block can do it for you. Don't pay big bucks to the dealer. The only warning I'll give you is to gently figure out how the locking clips on the plugs work so you don't break them which is easy to do.

If you have an automatic trans, then you will need to do what is known as a "Quick Learn" which is simple and easy. It's basically going for a ride and letting the trans shift about a dozen times for low speed 1st to 2nd, mid speed 2nd to 3rd and higher speed 3rd to 4th. It's just to lay down a little shifting memory in the PCM so it and the trans can "learn" each other. You can also do it the "slow" way by simply driving on a trip that will allow the trans to completely shift through the gears a couple dozen times while staying out of any full throttle situations. After that, you can go pedal to the metal.

Even if you are not mechanical you can change a PCM in your driveway in a half hour and another half hour on the highway. All you need is a socket wrench and set of sockets, preferably metric but US will be okay in a pinch.

Private message me if you need more details. I might be able to find a HOW TO somewhere.

Tags
pcm ecm