PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 Pt Cruiser Misfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2013, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 Pt Cruiser Misfire

Hello All!!

I have a PT Cruiser, 2006 "B" vin with the 2.4L engine. Great Vehicle, had been my Grandmother's and when she passed it was given to us. Been pretty reliable-for 3 months I have been haunted by the same issue: Error Code is P303 Cylinder 3 misfire. So like any amature mechanic I went through the Hayes manual step by step. I did the plugs, plug wires and replaced the coil with a new one. Shut the MIL light off-2 miles later pops back on and is still idling/running rough. So then I go back in and replace the cam postition sensor. Shut the code off-run it, 1/2 mile later same check engine code, P303 3rd cylinder misfire. Now I am still trying to find a repair solution!! The vehicle has 57,000 miles, use full synthetic 5w-30 changed about every 5,000 miles and regularly check/replace as needed the air filter since it is so dusty here. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated...am still trying to learn the search function here also to research.

Thanks everyona and Have a Great Day!!!
Old 27 Aug 2013, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Pt Cruiser Misfire

You can swap injectors/plugs or wires to another cylinder to see if the code shows up on a different place. Check all the vacuum hoses for any cracks or tares and check the seams of the upper manifold and the area between the upper and lower manifold for any leaks. Last, but not least, a compression check can rule out and internal damage.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Thank you for the reply!! I have just changed out the 3rd cylinder injector for a new one and the code is still there. Been turning off the DTC's with a hand-held scanner and P0303 is still there...I will get back under the hood and try to check for vacuum leaks-Is there a seperate circuit just for cylinder 3 that could cause this?? I really appreciate the input-working on this myself since I just don't have the funds to go to the dealership!!!

Thanks again!!!
Old 27 Aug 2013, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your getting back in there, swap No#3 plug and wire to see if the code changes. Look at the space between upper and lower manifold at the 4 red rubber rings to see if they are bent or squashed. Make sure they make a good seal when put together.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 06 Pt Cruiser Misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaschinois View Post
So then I go back in and replace the cam postition sensor.
Just curious;Did you use a Mopar CPS,or aftermarket?.....And have you checked the CPS wiring harness?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 07:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Check the spark output at the ignition wire and the voltage at the injector clip.

Also check the coil outputs and the injector drivers at the PCM. It is possible that one of the drivers on the PCM have failed.

Injector 3 driver is Connector C2 on PCM, Pin 12, yellow/white wire.
Coil control circuit is Connector C2 on PCM, Pin 9, Dk. Blue/Tan.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Just curious;Did you use a Mopar CPS,or aftermarket?.....And have you checked the CPS wiring harness?
It was aftermarket, BWD Brand, Sensor CSS1600. Visually checked the harness, is there a way to ohm it out?? Thanks for the reply!!
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: 06 Pt Cruiser Misfire

Aftermarket electrical parts have a bad track record with PT in general......Either they don't work correctly to begin with,or they only work for a short time......The result is normally pulling hairs,and eventually having to replace with Mopar;Just trying to save you either one of those things......Mopar may cost a few dollars more,but well worth the investment in NO headaches.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392SRT8 View Post
Check the spark output at the ignition wire and the voltage at the injector clip.

Also check the coil outputs and the injector drivers at the PCM. It is possible that one of the drivers on the PCM have failed.

Injector 3 driver is Connector C2 on PCM, Pin 12, yellow/white wire.
Coil control circuit is Connector C2 on PCM, Pin 9, Dk. Blue/Tan.
Okay-That's the plug that faces rearward on the back of the coil, is that correct??

I do have an automotive test meter and an idiot light-

When testing for spark output what setting should I use on the meter or just let it test to ground and look for color?? Sorry-I am showing my inexperience here!!

For the driver test on the PCM am I putting the red probe of the meter to the pin and ground for the black? DC voltage setting?? Just want to clarify so I don't screw something up!! Something strange is I will clear the code, the MIL light goes out and it runs fine for a few miles. When the light comes back on it starts idling rough again-does this make sense??

Thank you for the input, I have been searching here and through the manual that I have for info. I also got the PT Cruiser running and sprayed starting fluid around the upper intake manifold and areas I thought I might have a vacuum leak and there was no change in the idle. I will try to get some time to work on it tomorrow and perform the tests recommended here...

Thanks again!!
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Aftermarket electrical parts have a bad track record with PT in general......Either they don't work correctly to begin with,or they only work for a short time......The result is normally pulling hairs,and eventually having to replace with Mopar;Just trying to save you either one of those things......Mopar may cost a few dollars more,but well worth the investment in NO headaches.
Okay-Thanks!!