Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Interchangeable parts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2013, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Interchangeable parts?

My grandmother's PT is being worked on as I type this and my father's is right beside it. I was wondering if parts are interchangeable between my grandmother's 2004 and my father's 2002. He's working on the crankshaft sensor and they're in different spots. He wants to try the one from the 02 on the 04 and see if that's the issue before we buy another part. Can it be done?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Interchangeable parts?

I have a 2003,so I'm not sure of the 2004;Especially since you say there in different locations.....I can recommend if you do replace it,spend the few dollars more,and replace it with the genuine Mopar CKS;Aftermarket electrical parts have a poor track record with PT Cruisers;Mechanical parts are OK to go with aftermarket,just not electrical parts.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Interchangeable parts?

Honestly, my grandmother doesn't have the money to keep purchasing parts if we can't narrow down the problem.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyfreefall View Post
Honestly, my grandmother doesn't have the money to keep purchasing parts if we can't narrow down the problem.
No one has posted the problem here. So don't know what your dealing with. If it looks the same and plugs up the same, it will probably work. But if it mounts or plug is different. I would say no. Tell us whats up and see if we can save you some bucks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Aug 2013, 08:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My grandmother's 04 PT just wouldn't start one day. My dad has already replaced the PCM and that didn't help. We checked the fuel lines and pump, those are working. There doesn't seem to be any spark. Dad just switched the cam sensor from the 04 to the 02 and the 02 starts. But he switched the magnets and neither one started. He hasn't checked the crankshaft sensor, mostly because they're in different places. Does this signify a problem with the magnets?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 08:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You say after switching the CPS from the 2004 to the 2002(before switching target magnets) it starts;Did it idle and run OK?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
My grandmother's 04 PT just wouldn't start one day. My dad has already replaced the PCM and that didn't help. We checked the fuel lines and pump, those are working. There doesn't seem to be any spark. Dad just switched the cam sensor from the 04 to the 02 and the 02 starts. But he switched the magnets and neither one started. He hasn't checked the crankshaft sensor, mostly because they're in different places. Does this signify a problem with the magnets?
Pull the cam sensor off. Turn the pt over and see if the magnet turns.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I talk to my dad and he says the magnet does turn.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
You say after switching the CPS from the 2004 to the 2002(before switching target magnets) it starts;Did it idle and run OK?
Yes, it ran fine.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I talk to my dad and he says the magnet does turn.
The timing belt is intact. Any codes showing up? Make sure the coil's electrical plug is connected. Inspect the wiring to the two sensors. See what ya find.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com