Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine dies in 'drive', but revs in 'reverse'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2013, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine dies in 'drive', but revs in 'reverse'

Hello, I'm a new member looking for some insight on a problem with my Brother-in-law's 2006 PT Cruiser. I'm a Ford guy, so working on a Chrysler is something I am not familiar with. Anyways, onto the problem with some back story...

He drove to WA from San Diego a week ago without incident. He had new tires installed and the transmission flushed before he left. While up here, he was started to have problems with the battery dying (it was original) and needed to get jump started, so we replaced the battery yesterday. This morning, he was driving to a friend's house to do some yard work (gotta earn that $$, ha!) and it died a few blocks short.

I did some quick research and was prepared to read the codes and possibly replace the cam sensor, as that seems to be a common occurrence. When I got there, I couldn't get it to display the codes and couldn't get a good signal on my phone to make sure I was doing it correctly. I then attempted to start it, but it seemed as if the engine was locked up...starter just when 'thud', and engine didn't turn over. I tried a few times, then thought maybe he ran the battery down trying to keep it running before I got there, so I jumped it off my truck. It still didn't turn over, so I cycled the key a few times and it finally kicked and started right up.

It idled fine and revs up while in 'park', but dies as soon as you touch the gas when it is in 'drive'. It will rev and move just fine in reverse though.

Anyways, I ended up borrowing a tow dolly and we drug it home. Once home, I looked up the code retrieval process again and finally got it to work, but there are no codes currently stored and the CEL doesn't illuminate while the car is running. I decided to check the easy things first...fuel pump comes on, but I wanted to check the pressure to make sure it was enough. I hooked up a pressure gauge to the fuel line at the firewall and got 52-55 lbs when the key is turned on and it holds pressure (not bleeding off). I unplugged, inspected connectors/wiring and plugged back in, all the sensors I could reach from the engine bay, including the four on the ECM. I was able to get it to throw a code for each sensor I unplugged, so that looks promising.

I finally got it to run while in drive, so I unloaded it from the dolly and moved it up to my shop (up hill, of course). I don't know if there is a sensor(s) on the transmission that would cause this or what else I should check.

If anyone has any insight, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ivan
Old 29 Aug 2013, 12:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Engine dies in 'drive', but revs in 'reverse'

Hmmm...no one has any ideas on this one yet??

Doing some more research, I've stumbled upon a few things that have me concerned.

First off, the TCC evidently likes to hang up or stay locked. Everything seems fine in reverse, so I don't think it is locked up, so that leads me to ponder if the solenoid pack, which is also a common fail item, is causing this and the TCC solenoid is locking the converter as pressure goes up when it is in a forward gear.

Second is that he had a transmission fluid flush approx 1500 miles ago. I don't know what fluid they used, but if they did not use ATF+4, could it be causing these problems?

Also found mention of some wires that are routed behind the radiator (forward of it) chaffing on the core support and causing similar issues. B-I-L had ran into a curb once and damaged the radiator support and bumper. He and his dad replaced them, so this is a possibility.

What really gets me, is that I was able to get it to work in 'drive' for a minute or so...

Guess I will keep searching the interwebs and see what I can stir up.

Oh, the car only has 60,526 miles on it.

Last edited by Ford005; 29 Aug 2013 at 12:58 am.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 01:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Ford; my first move would be [after disconnecting the neg bat terminal] to remove the TIPM [fancy fuse box with 'extras'] and check the wires and connectors. Then check the wires going to the stall-enoid pack.

Then recheck for codes.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

pt06, I will give that a try and see what happens. Thank you.