Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Light Trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2013, 08:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery Light Trouble

Hi all, new poster here, I have a 2001 PT Cruiser that is just driving me crazy! The battery light started turning on a few months ago and I had to ignore it because I was way too broke to do much about it. About three weeks ago I ended up having a problem with my rear door sensor that made the lights and alarm turn on all the time at random-- that got fixed.

But three days later the car flat-out would not turn on. Got it jumped but the power wouldn't stay and it shut down. Had to get it expensively towed.

The shop I usually go to found that the battery was entirely dead-- they thought there might be something wrong with the alternator. They replaced the battery and, lo and behold, the alternator still seems fine. They figured the rear door sensor problems just drained it.

Two weeks later my battery light is coming on. What the crazy could be going on here?
Old 29 Aug 2013, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Light Trouble

Do you have fog lights?
The multi-function switch dies and turns the fog lights on without the key and the only way to fix it is remove the fuse or put in a new switch (be sure to get one with fog lights and be sure to move the flasher module from old to new switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Aug 2013, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Do you have fog lights?
The multi-function switch dies and turns the fog lights on without the key and the only way to fix it is remove the fuse or put in a new switch (be sure to get one with fog lights and be sure to move the flasher module from old to new switch.
Sorry, a bit unsure, but I feel I might notice if I came back to my car and the fog lights were on... yes? I mean, I don't know too much so I could just be crazy.

Last edited by Gregward; 29 Aug 2013 at 09:32 am.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don (Quisksilver) was trying to say that the most problems we see on this forum from a dead battery is that the multi-function switch which controls the headlights and fog lights and turn signals burns out and when it does, most of the time the fog lights stay on, which in turn run down the battery.

So, easy enough, try your fog lights. Turn them on and off. The green light on the dash should light up if they are on and go off when you turn the fogs off. If all that works, something else is draining your battery and a system check for a drain has to be done....a long and drawn out procedure.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 10:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Don (Quisksilver) was trying to say that the most problems we see on this forum from a dead battery is that the multi-function switch which controls the headlights and fog lights and turn signals burns out and when it does, most of the time the fog lights stay on, which in turn run down the battery.

So, easy enough, try your fog lights. Turn them on and off. The green light on the dash should light up if they are on and go off when you turn the fogs off. If all that works, something else is draining your battery and a system check for a drain has to be done....a long and drawn out procedure.
Just checked that and the green light you described isn't coming on. So I guess it's the fuse. Any idea how much this might cost?
Old 29 Aug 2013, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregward View Post
Just checked that and the green light you described isn't coming on. So I guess it's the fuse. Any idea how much this might cost?
The question is, are the fogs on ALL the time, or just not coming on when you try the switch? Were they working before this time, have you used them before?

Check to see if fuse #8 in the interior fuse box is good. That supplies voltage to the fogs.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Tags
2001 cruiser, alternator, battery, wiring