Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
recovery tank question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2013, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default recovery tank question

this is my first car, with coolant recovery tank close to dash . I hear the coolant flush in and out of the tank ,once in awhile does not overheat, stays on full mark, a/c ice cold, on a 100 degree day. my question is this normal to hear the coolant working.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: recovery tank question

Just keep an eye on the coolant level. As long as it's over the low mark, you're okay.
You can use Zerex G05 antifreeze.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2013, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks, is the zerex G05 that important ? I had new water pump and timing belt installed and green prestone was put back in. the man said as long as its flushed and all one kind its ok. I dont want to mess care up .
Old 07 Sep 2013, 01:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: recovery tank question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoken25 View Post
thanks, is the zerex G05 that important ? I had new water pump and timing belt installed and green prestone was put back in. the man said as long as its flushed and all one kind its ok. I dont want to mess care up .
It should be OK,even though MFG recommends HOAT.....I have read several threads where members have switched to Ethyl Glycol,instead of HOAT,and apparently had no problems afterwards....But,only after a thorough flushing;The problems arise from mixing the two coolants together,they tend to 'Gel' when mixed,thus creating clogs throughout the cooling system.
Old 08 Sep 2013, 05:04 am
Senior Cruiser

From what I've read, regular antifreeze should be changed every 2 years. Chrysler says HOAT should last 5 years. It's a corrosion thing.

There's a great article on this site about it.