Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2013, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Touring Edition which has had electrical problems as long as I've had it. Eventually I had the TIPM replaced and it's been working well except for two issues (which started immediately after the TIPM was replaced): both driver and airbag lights are constantly on (although the horn and cruise control work fine), and the windshield wipers come on intermittently (usually while turning the wheel and going over bumps).

Does this sound like a bad clock spring or something else? The dealership told me the airbag lights were on before the TIPM was replaced (but they weren't). Would the clock spring effect the passenger airbag light as well as the driver's airbag light? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I feel comfortable replacing parts, but I'd like to make educated guesses before proceeding. Thanks!

Last edited by garumbai; 31 Aug 2013 at 04:56 pm.
Old 03 Sep 2013, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: 2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

Can anyone tell me what having both airbags on might indicate?
Old 03 Sep 2013, 06:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

Definitely sounds like a clockspring issue for the horn. However, that wouldn't be the case for the passenger airbag light. Have you checked for codes? If the airbag lights are on, you'll have a few "body" codes stored (ones starting with "B" or "U").
Old 04 Sep 2013, 07:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: 2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

I've checked the codes with a hand scanner and none are stored. Are there codes that only the dealership can read? Thanks for the reply.
Old 04 Sep 2013, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

Have you checked them doing the "key dance"? Many aftermarket scanners only report OBD/OBDII engine codes.
Old 04 Sep 2013, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The key trick didn't show anything except the word -d0ne-. Also, since I originally posted, the MIL indicator has come on permanently. Still no codes stored. I expect the wheels will fall off soon. Any ideas?
Old 08 Sep 2013, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I'm trying not to go to the dealership, but I guess I can't get the airbag code read without doing so. Here's what I've done:

Replaced the windshield wiper control arm on the steering column. This seems to have taken care of the intermittent behavior of the wipers coming on by themselves.

Replaced the clock spring with one from an 06 from the yard. This didn't turn off the airbag light but the cruise control and the horn still work.

Replaced the airbag computer (airbag module) with one from the yard. This didn't turn off the airbag light.

Unplugged, cleaned, and reconnected all the wire connectors under the passenger. No luck.

Replaced the passenger seat position sensor. No luck.

So both the airbag lights are still on, as is the MIL.

Will post again after the dealership tells me what's up. The only things I haven't replaced yet are the sensors on the radiator, and the relay under the passenger seat. Could still be a bad/loose/broke connection somewhere, or I got a bum part from the yard. Hope this will help someone.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: 2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

Took it to the dealer, and they let me know it's two separate problems; first, the passenger seat sensor needed to be recalibrated, and they generously included this in the $95 diagnostic fee, second, the right front airbag sensor was not communicating with the occupant restraint module. They claimed that there was no code and quoted me an exact estimate of $315 to replace the right front sensor. I said no thanks, took it home, spent 30 minutes figuring out where the senor is and how to get to it, and I noticed that the right front sensor wire harness was not plugged into the sensor. When I found it, I discovered that someone had nylon-tied it to the lower grill. Not sure if they did this when they replaced the TIPM, or just recently when I took it in to get the airbag lights checked. Either way, the dealership has not been straight with me. Also found that one of the prongs in the senor had corroded and broken off in the wire harness plug. Took that out with tweezers, cleaned the connector with electrical cleaner, plugged in a sensor from the junk yard and screwed it in. Now both airbag lights are off, but the check engine light is on constantly. No codes are present with my scanner or the key maneuver. The saga continues. Unless anyone can tell me why plugging a functional airbag sensor in while the battery is disconnected would throw a code, I'm looking at another $95 from the stealership. I have tried clearing the code with disconnecting the battery again with no luck. Thanks!
Old 02 Dec 2013, 03:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: 2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

wow! I just bought my 2007 Pt Cruiser and IT has the very same problem with the passenger bag light coming on and binging intermittently! My first thought since I do know this car was in an accident before I purchased her (probably why I got such a good deal on her) was that it has no passenger bag...that perhaps it was deployed in the accident.
Everything else electrically seems to work fine. I think I will just learn to ignore it until I have the money to have someone take a look at it. I bought the car
"AS IS" so I have no recourse....

Dee
Old 02 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 2006 Touring Edition Airbag lights on, windshield wipers come on randomly

Silly Gen-2 PTs with 'Can-Bus' do some of the weirdest things;I swear!.....Everytime I see these kinds of posts,it sure makes me glad I ended up with a Gen-1 PT.
Carl48 likes this.

Tags
2006, airbag, clock spring, ecm, windshield wipers